The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/20/2024 7:35:54 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 250th Anniversary of the Siege of Fort Niagara
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: History Meets the Arts 2010 Topic Next Topic: New and Improved Augusta Regiment website
Page: of 2

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2009 :  7:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
NO!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 02 2009 :  8:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But look really close. Do you see the pigtails in front of the ears? Really adds just that final touch! Darned nuisance in a wind, though. Now where, may I ask, would you see that on an Englishman? Wait! I know! Put LOTM on the DVD player and look at "Camron's Cabin". John Cameron has the hair, just not braided. I would have been a natural for that scene.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 02 2009 :  9:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh, yes... I saw them. ~ snort ~ Pretty ridiculous, IMHO.

Btw.... don't you think they could have moved those soccer goals off the field for us??? Those and the picnic tables on the beach spoiled the affect a little bit.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 03 2009 :  12:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Moving the goals would have been good. And wouldn't have been all that much work. We were on the far left of the line and actually had the goal in the middle of our unit. I have heard that is past years they had battles on the parking lot. I missed the Sunday morning battle because I was getting my stock branded, and the guy doing it was leaving early that day. Before the Friday afternoon battle, I was taking a nap under a tree when they called us for a photo. Seems that a painter of period pictures wanted an action shot of a fierce milicen charge, so a group of us, including Daniel Roy, posed for it. The painting is supposed to be completed by December and for our efforts we get a small print which I will post (naturally). Spoiled a good nap, but I guess it was worth it. This was just before the battle of the soccer field.

Most of the action for us was defending the cannon closest to the lake. It was good there.

You should have been in the fort at night. Between the Indians and the Compagnie de la Corne times were good!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2009 :  10:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good Heavens, NO! I would not be brave enough to venture into the enemy fort, most especially at night. At least, not without at least 4 big, brawny Greencoated men surrounding me.

Besides, I had no need. We had our own special time in the British camp. The campfire was blazing, the Port was flowing, the camaraderie was most enjoyable. Plus, we had Joey Hall (Father, Son & Friends) giving a glorious 2-hour performance just 2 doors down from us. Several of us walked down to enjoy it up close. It was wonderful!

I will say, though..... as I was standing there enjoying the music --Joey, his son, and a young woman fiddler, who was absolutely fantastic! -- a group of several "French" people came walking up. One of the young men set down the fiddle case he was carrying, opened it, took out his fiddle and went to join in the jam session.

Talk about Dueling Banjos! This was Dueling Fiddles! He was just as fantastic as she was! No matter what they three of them played, he could join right in. I assume he was doing much of it by ear and improvisation. Wow! I haven't enjoyed anything so much in a long time. It was great!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 03 2009 :  11:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The weekend after Niagara, the New Acquisition Militia brought FS&F to the event at Brattonsville, SC, and we listened to them until 2:00AM Sat and Sun. They are great entertainment, but not at all 18th century. That was the thing about the fort. It was all 18th century in there, whether Indian or French. For Brattonsville I don't care. Enough rum makes it all blend together, but for a place like Niagara, I really liked the fact the fort kept it period.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2009 :  12:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

They are great entertainment, but not at all 18th century.

Oh, very true, and I knew that. But, it was such rollicking great fun... and such good music that I didn't care. I'm a violinist, so I just enjoyed those fiddlers s-o-o-o-o much!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 04 2009 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just saw this. It is the commemoration of the 250th Anniversary of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, and event which may well have decided the fate of the American Colonies. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkw48E_6vWw&feature=related

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2009 :  12:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hahaha!!! Ya got me! I was all prepared to be really ticked off that someone had gone ahead and had a re-enactment!

Actually... that looks like a whole lot of fun for a hot summer day!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 04 2009 :  1:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is what one Canadien reenactor had to say about it:

quote:
You remember that the battle of the plains of Abraham ( with Louisbourg the only F&I war commemoration outside the USA) had been cancelled .

It would have been this last week-end , and the day was still free on the summer schedule of the parc . So Marteau Napoli , a jackass type event organiser working at a local trash/rock radio station organised a great water pistol battle .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkw48E_6vWw&feature=related

The last minute event was a complete success . I can see a local tradition beginning . Years from now nobody will remember the failure or the historical reenactment event . Journalists will say " to commemorate the 1759 battle that so changed history , people gather with water pistols ....." It is evident that there is no commemoration at all , some people do not want to remember and made this goofy activity to obscure some more this day in history .

In the P. of A . event you would have seen natives fighting along with the milice on the north part of the field , sniping at the Highlanders . They would have been " whites portraying natives " ( 99% of them Americans ) , as the descendent of the Hurons-Wendat have no reenacting group * I am quite certain there would have been complaints on monday morning . Notice that at the water pistol battle there were pirates , a squirrel mascot , Batman, vampires , even a flame thrower but no Natives real or false, they have been ereased of the popular memory .

And they do not complain about it .

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 04 2009 :  6:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had no idea that actually took place in Quebec City sort of as a sterilized substitute, since I don't read French and I thought you were being facetious. Wow. That really makes the whole thing incredibly ridiculous. Fun for people in Los Angeles to cool off with, maybe, but certainly not fun as a substitute for an important historical event that decided the fate of a people.

Yeah.... as we've discussed before, the Quebecois really just have no clue.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 04 2009 :  10:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Could you imagine that happening at, say, Gettysburg? Same thing. Those people simply have no clue.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2009 :  12:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just as I was walking out my door on Friday to head down to Warrior Run Heritage Days in Pennsylvania, I took my mail out of the mailbox. Lo and behold... there was my commemorative DVD of the Fort Niagara 250th! I came pretty close to sitting down right then to watch it, but I was running a little late already, so I resisted the urge.

As I looked at the collage of photos on the cover, I realized that I was looking at someone familiar in one of them. It seems that a certain fro..... er... cough.... Frenchman.... wearing a goofy-looking red hat has managed to get himself on the dvd cover. ~ sigh ~ Wouldn't you just figure?

Someone else in our regiment received his copy the other day, and he watched it. He said that our group got some pretty good footage, as well. I'm anxious to watch it.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 06 2009 :  2:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mine arrived while I was at Fort Dobbs last weekend. I didn't notice the cover. I will have to take a look. I did watch about two hours of the footage and there is still plenty left. I did see myself in the surrender scene being approached by some savauge. We were making jokes and it looks like I am about to laugh. And the lace maker is Lynn White, the secretary of our unit.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: History Meets the Arts 2010 Topic Next Topic: New and Improved Augusta Regiment website  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.36 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07