The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 12:42:41 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The GREAT MOHICAN GATHERINGS
 Gathering Gossip & Ganders [?]
 Spirits on the River ... Gone, But Not Forgotten
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The 2006 Gathering Topic Next Topic: Wedding Bells?  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 12 2009 :  07:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Back in May, I guess it was, Spirits on the River closed its doors for good. The place, sitting on the banks of the Swannanoa River in Asheville, served a delightful array of American Indian foods, ranging from Buffalo to Gator [and who can forget those fry-bread sundaes!!!!?]. It had become a staple of our Mohican Gatherings since 2002, even though the actual building had nothing to do with the filming. A Mohican performer, Bill Miller, was our first guest there, and what a magical performance it was. See our Mohican Gathering pages [2002 - 2008] for pics of this place.

Anyway, the reason I am posting this today is that I drove by the site yesterday for the first time since its disappearance. Sure enough, the place is gone! It was a weird thing to see. Just a patch of grass now. There were a lot of memories for me there ... good memories ...
report to moderator

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 12 2009 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Progress???
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 13 2009 :  10:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's a real shame! I had thought about stopping by the next time I go to the Asheville area. I am glad you alerted me, but I still may have to drive by just to see what it looks like now.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 14 2009 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Do you know why it's gone? It was certainly a highlight of the Gatherings and the UN-Gathering, too.

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 14 2009 :  08:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Part of a green-way being planned along the river. Flip had been thinking of selling for a couple of years now; I guess he finally got the offer he couldn't refuse. [from the city of Asheville, I would think?] Last I heard, he was retaining rights to the name, so we can hope for a future reincarnation of the place down the road. The atmosphere would be hard to top, though ...

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 14 2009 :  1:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep this is definitely sad. They stayed open until November, and I managed to eat dinner there with friends about a week before they closed. It was still great as ever, and it's sad to drive by and see nothing there. But once, we were here...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 24 2009 :  7:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was in Asheville this afternoon and drove by the Spirits On The River location. There is nothing there but grass and the remnants of a driveway near the road. So I parked the car, and picked up a handful of dust, then sprinkled in over the site and said:

"Asheville moves with the sun and pushes the red man and his restaurants it front of it. Until one day there will be no restaurant left. Then SOTR will be no more, or be not us ... Will there be anything left to show the world that SOTR ever did exist? "

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 26 2009 :  7:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

I was in Asheville this afternoon and drove by the Spirits On The River location. There is nothing there but grass and the remnants of a driveway near the road. So I parked the car, and picked up a handful of dust, then sprinkled in over the site and said:

"Asheville moves with the sun and pushes the red man and his restaurants it front of it. Until one day there will be no restaurant left. Then SOTR will be no more, or be not us ... Will there be anything left to show the world that SOTR ever did exist? "

Very touching, Fitz.

At least we have memories, stories, and photos...and maybe someday a new SOTR.

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 18 2009 :  5:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That really makes me sad to hear about SOTR. I really enjoyed going there when we had a Gathering. Loved the food, especially the fry bread sundaes!!! They were delicious!!! Oh well, I am sure that Steph will find another very unique place to eat;-) Just wish that I could be there next year, but am saving up for Michael and Kim's wedding, and weddings don't come cheap!!!

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 18 2009 :  8:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Judging from some of the posts that I remember reading, a number of the female members of this community are just glad that Bill Miller is NOT gone (as in "forever") because he's certainly not forgotten.

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley
  Previous Topic: The 2006 Gathering Topic Next Topic: Wedding Bells?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.28 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07