The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/5/2024 6:31:09 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 The Alamo - 1836
 Dimitri Tiomkin's 1960 Score for The Alamo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Remember the Alamo! Topic Next Topic: New Alamo Artwork  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - May 26 2011 :  12:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In my recently reawakened interest in both the Alamo and Alamo movies, recounted here in another post, I ran across an interesting tidbit regarding what is possibly my favorite film score of all times, that produced by Russian-born composer Dimitri Tiomkin for the John Wayne version, The Alamo. Although I bought the Original Soundtrack back in 1960 and subsequently replaced it with a stereo copy, I'd always wished it contained even MORE of the music. I was astounded when I read online that just LAST YEAR ( 2010 ) the ENTIRE score had been re-recorded by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra! I then searched for it on Amazon, and happily paid the rather steep $35 list price.

It came this past weekend and is WONDERFUL! There are 3 discs, each containing almost an hour of music, much of it never-before recorded, including music for deleted scenes and variations on themes in the finished movie. It also includes related music by Tiomkin for a period TV special and the "popular" song versions of Ballad of the Alamo and Green Leaves of Summer. My only regret is that naturally neither The Brothers Four nor Marty Robbins were available to reprise their performances, but the replacements are acceptable. ( Besides, they weren't really in the FILM anyway! ) If anyone is as much a fan of The Alamo, its music, or the music of Dimitri Tiomkin in general as I am, I highly recommend it!

Image Insert:

85.84 KB

Image Insert:

79.24KB
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 28 2011 :  12:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tip, James! Always loved that movie & score ... my Dad took me to see it at the theater when it first came out. It made a major impression.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Remember the Alamo! Topic Next Topic: New Alamo Artwork  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07