The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/29/2024 4:50:46 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 The Sarge Remembers...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Hiking the Crown Point Road ... Topic Next Topic: Lexington, ...
Page: of 2

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 09 2014 :  10:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...A Decade Of 250th Events

While in 'winter quarters' here at Fort Pitt, I was going through my box-o-stuff filled with reenacting memorabilia. As I was sorting the wheat from the chaff, I took note of the sizable number of 250th Anniversary medallions, which I have accumulated since 2004. Handling these otherwise mundane bits of metal gave me a chance to remember the good, bad & ugly of the events they represented.

I then put together a list, which I will share with you, of the 250th F&IW events I participated in. The events below, are ranked in personal favorability, from best and most enjoyable, to not-so-much:

#1, The Grand Prize: Braddock's Defeat (2005)

Image Insert:

89.37 KB
Mohicanland 'Mini-Gathering' @ 250th Braddock's (L to R) Sarah, Seamus (RIP, old friend), The Sarge & Rose

This event was held at Old Bedford Village, where the Juniata River played the part of the Monongahela River. This event certainly was the best of the anniversary events I had taken part in, and it was mostly due to the tireless work of OBV's previous site director, Roger Kirwin. This event had it all, including choreographed hand-to-hand combat, and even the 'fog of war'....
...We also were able to have an unofficial mini-gathering of Mohicanland board members

#2: Fort Bedford (2008)

Image Insert:

32.7 KB

This event included a ceremony for the newly-reconstructed main gate of Fort Bedford, and two very good set-piece battles at the lunette which was constructed through the hard work of OBV's previous site director, Roger Kirwin. It was also where my lads were able to do a broadsword charge against the French defenders

#3, A Tie: Fort Ligonier (2009) & Bushy Run (2013)

Image Insert:

74.63 KB

These two events were both equally fun and enjoyable, and it was due to the hard work of event coordinators like Jeff Graham (Fort Ligonier) and Kelly Ruoff (Bushy Run).

#4: Fort Niagara (2009)

Image Insert:

40.87 KB

This event was fun, in spite of the SNAFU's and FUBAR's, mostly caused by the British Command Staff

#5: Fort Loudoun (2008)

A small and cozy event, which was run efficiently. It commemorated the Cherokee conference with Colonel Bouquet, during the Forbes Expedition.

#6: Grant's Defeat (2008)

Another small & cozy event, held at Boyce Park (Allegheny County) where Washington Redoubt was located (along the Forbes Road). This event was almost a 'no-go', until my co-workers found out that I was going to be part of it (certified as a Firearms Safety Officer), and that helped to smooth things over, and ease concerns of county park officials.

#7: Fort Necessity (2004)

The first of the true 250th F&IW events, where fun was had by all, in spite of the NPS regulations.

#8: Fort Ticonderoga (2008)

Image Insert:

31.6 KB
The sky was clear... but not for long!

This event was did not reach it's potential, mostly due to the short-sightedness of the fort management, and the ineptitude of the British Command Staff. Without going into detail (and I could generate quite a list of grievances), suffice it to say that it was unfortunate disappointment, but we managed to make the best of a crappy situation

Even though my lads never received their medallions from this event (thanks to yet another SNAFU by the fort staff... one of many during this event), they shared a far more important 'medal'/distinction. Afterwards, we said there are only two kinds of F&IW reenactors... Those who endured Ti '08, and those who didn't!

Well folks, there is my list. Since I was only able to attend a fraction of the numerous 250th F&IW events from 2004-2013, I would like to hear your own 250th anniversary event ratings/experiences.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 10 2014 :  07:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent post Sarge, ...

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 10 2014 :  1:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good stuff, Sarge!!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 10 2014 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you Lads, and I do hope to read of the 250th F&IW Anniversary experiences of other Mohicanland Board members as well. As I noted, I was only able to do a fraction of the available 250th events (both F&IW and Pontiac's War), and I would love to read of someone who did other anniversary events like Louisburg, Oswego, Michilimackinac, Fort Henry, etc.

BTW- There is talk of a 250th Anniversary event for the Muskingum Expedition of 1764 (more specifically, Bouquet's Council on the Muskingum River), this November at Fort Laurens (OH). I am looking into it to see if it is going to happen, and if it will not interfere with my fall GWA event.

Yep, I think I still have a few more 250th's left in me...

YMH&OS
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 10 2014 :  3:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You have inspired me to post on the 250th. Soon . . .

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 10 2014 :  6:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
#4: Fort Niagara (2009)
Geez, - Sarge, just how tall is that guy on the left in that pic???

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 10 2014 :  7:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Monadnock Guide asked: #4: Fort Niagara (2009). Geez, - Sarge, just how tall is that guy on the left in that pic???

That is Lieutenant Sasquatch... I mean, Lieutenant John Fergus Smith, Executive Officer for Captain Graham's Coy./42nd RHR (Gary Smith, AKA-'42ndNCO' on the Mohicanland Board), and he is also my commanding officer. He is just shy of seven-foot tall, and as you can see in the picture, he even dwarves me (I'm 6'1").

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 12 2014 :  10:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In 2004, when the 250th series of F&I events began, I was somewhat new to that period. In the south, we were gearing up for the 225th series of the Rev War and I was not a member of any unit which was going to Fort Necessity, so I didn't go. In retrospect that was a mistake, and after that I determined to go to at least one 250th event each summer.

So in 2005 I made the trip to Old Bedford Village for Braddock's Defeat. I was alone and had to find a unit to fall in with. But I did and had a great time. Wonderful event in every way. I also realized that if you are alone, you had better attend all the officer's meetings or you won't know what is going on. I never wanted to do that, but some things can't be avoided.

In 2006 the big event was at Fort Ontario located at Owsego, NY. I had the good fortune to meet the members of the Pequawket Alliance and fall in with them. Again a great event and a beautiful location.

In 2007 the event was the Siege of Fort William Henry, but the Fort moved the date to September to extend their tourist season. That is a bad time for me, and the Grand Encampment III was that summer at Crown Point, so I went there instead. As it turned out, Fort WH had anniversary ceremonies on the same weekend, and when the speeches were over, Montcalm (Georges Savarin, Baron de Marestan, a descendant of Montcalm) came to Crown Point and visited with us. I arrived late on Thrusday night and on Friday morning I found I had camped next to the Pequawket Alliance again. I joined their unit and I am still a member today.

In 2008 there were two "can't miss" events, Ticonderoga and Louisbourg. For Ti it rained a lot on Saturday. Friday was nice, but Saturday it rained about the time the battle started and continued into the night. I was fortunate enough to have a friend ride with me to both events but on Sunday morning he had heard there was more rain coming and wanted to leave. Since it was his car, we did. I missed the Sunday event, but I understand it was only a repeat of Saturday. It was unfortunate that the site didn't pay more attention to authenticity and parked a row of campers and motor homes beside our camp and the fort. At Louisbourg they had to park over a hill where they couldn't be seen.

There is only one place like Louisbourg this side of the Atlantic! It was four days and nights of living in the 18th century. Especially at dusk when the spectators were gone and only a few people in 18th century dress were walking the streets. Now they say that there won't be any more of these events. Although they are having events every year, they are small and concentrate only on living history. They also concentrate on festivals and concerts. It's a shame their focus has shifted. A lot has been lost.

2009 was to the the year for the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, but politics trumped history and it was cancelled. So eveyone concentrated on Niagara. It was big and kept us busy the entire time. I didn't get to do many of the things I would have like to do. Just no time. Some things needed attention, like the Battle of the Soccer Field, but we were camped inside the fort and that made up for everything else.

2010 was the end of the series for the French, and La Présentation at Ogdensburg was the last battle. The site had hoped to have a fort constructed but NY pulled their promised funding and it fell through. The people did a great job and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I would love to do this one again. Maybe I will.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 12 2014 :  11:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Absolutely a great post Fitz, ...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 12 2014 :  11:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was hard to select only three pics for each event. And looking through all of them brought back a lot of memories. I missed the Mohican meetup at Old Bedford Village by accident, but I did get to meet Seamus there and at Ti. I met WW at Crown Point and again at Niagara. I also went to Crown Point two other times and Pemaquid, Maine as well, but these were not part of the 250th events. Since then I have been doing events closer to home. There is still something almost every-other weekend but the traveling is not as much. I went to Fort Frederick last August and plan to to again this year. It is only about a 7-8 hour drive as opposed to Crown Point which is 18 hours. My traveling partner turned 80 and has slowed down. I had some health problems myself and didn't feel like I could drive for two or three days and then enjoy an event. But seeing all the pics makes me wish I could do some of them over.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 12 2014 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know what you're saying Fitz, - there is no "rewind button" unfortunately, and I have looked. Still - at one point "you were there" ...

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 12 2014 :  12:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent post & pics Fitz

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 12 2014 :  1:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sarge, you were at Braddock's, Ti, Niagara, and Charleston, and I don't think we ever got to meet. Or if we did it escapes me. I walked down to the Augusta Regiment's tent after the battle at Ti, when it was about 6 inches underwater, but you weren't there, were you? I didn't go by the 42nd's area. Too wet! At Braddock's I got to the meeting place after everyone had left. And at Charleston the unit had gone into town when I got there. Well, maybe some day!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 12 2014 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fitz, we did meet at Braddock's, before 'the crossing'; and at Niagara I seen you at a distance (I think you either killed me or Lieutenant Sasquatch). In Charleston, we might have been in our cups at the beer tent...

...As for Ti, you would have needed a boat to visit the 42nd's battalion area

I will be at Niagara this year, will you be making the trek? How about the GEC at Penn's Colony? Ligonier?

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 12 2014 :  2:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will probably not go to Niagara. The 4th is our wedding anniversary and I have to make some allowances for that! It's a problem every year. I think Ligonier is by invitation and I don't know any of the French units that go there. The units I know are either the one in Alabama, or the ones in Canada and New England. The GEC, I haven't decided yet. I haven't heard who is going. I would prefer to work all that out ahead of time like I did for Fort Frederick last August. I was with Belle Reviere. You probably know them. They are milice and I prefer to do Compagnies franches if possible. But all that was done before I arrived. So we will see. I do plan to do Fort Frederick again. I like that place, and some of the units from North Carolina go there (as Brit, of course).

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 12 2014 :  2:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well Fitz, I understand all too well about how life gets in the way of our pursuits at times. If you would ever like to come to Ligonier, let me know; because I am a drinking buddy of Dave Bybee (CINC FrogFor). An email/phone call to Dave, and I will get you a billet with his French forces (Mileice, Marine, Cour du bois, your choice)...

...Of course, if you would like to don the red coat, I could certainly help you with that

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 13 2014 :  2:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What??? Miss-yer Lay-Fran-Say??? Don the Red Coat???

Now, that... I would pay out my schillings to see!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 13 2014 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Btw.... I also know someone who attends Ligonier as French. Ed Dammer is a member of a Troupe de la Reine and is Adjutant to its Commander Mike Malecki. I could put you in touch.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 13 2014 :  4:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

What??? Miss-yer Lay-Fran-Say??? Don the Red Coat???

Now, that... I would pay out my schillings to see!

Well, you could loose some shillings. I do have a red coat, the one I wear to dances. Rev War period civilian. It's amazing how many people see you in a red coat and automatically assume you are a Brit soldier.

As to Ligonier, it is the second weekend in October, n'est pas? If so, then that is the same time as Martin's Station. In all the years that the Station has been there I have not missed that event. I go for four days. No battles, no planned activities, just living in the 18th century. There are usually around a hundred or slightly less in the way of reenactors and the Station is ours for the duration. One year they even had bear meat stew for Saturday night's supper. Their big event is in May and you have to come early to find a place to pitch a tent, but not in the fall. The weather, the people, the location are something you really have to experience. And at how many sites does the head of the event call every person registered to say they have received the paperwork and to thank them for coming. I just can't miss that one.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 13 2014 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, I want my shillings!!!

This is at Sunday morning services. Parson John does a fine job. He even has Eucharist (that's communion for all you heretics). Here are a couple of other pictures of the site. And on the very top of that mountain in the background is Hensley's Settlement. It is from the 1903-1951 period, but looks like it came out of the 18th century.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 13 2014 :  5:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Wilderness Woman said: Ed Dammer is a member of a Troupe de la Reine and is Adjutant to its Commander Mike Malecki.

WW, what is that you say? Corporal Dammer has been Frenchified? Gott in Himmel, what would the Colonel say...

quote:
Fitz said: Well, you could loose some shillings. I do have a red coat, the one I wear to dances.

Well Fitz, if you take the King's Shilling in the 42nd, not only will you have a proper laced coat for dancing, but a lovely dance partner as well... And her name is 'Bess'

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 14 2014 :  6:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh.... no.... sorry. Redcoated civilian does not count. It has to be military.

Yes, Ligonier is the second weekend in October.

Sarge, Cpl. Dammer was actually doing French before he joined Augusta. So the Colonel knew. And did he ever love to tease, as you can imagine! He called Ed our Cross Dresser. Among other terms of endearment.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 15 2014 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great collection of photos you two [Fitz & Sarge]!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 16 2014 :  09:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, not that you are retired and have nothing to do ( ) you omight consider visiting Martin's Station. The Raid is always the second weekend in May and the big day is Saturday. A raid during the day, and a cabin (or corn crib) is burned that night. Lots of speakers, like Wallace Gusler. Mark Baker, John Curry, and others. And plenty of other things to do around the Cumberland Gap if you can find the time. John Harkin, who was a "Gatherer" for many years, shows up with some of the Georgia boys.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2014 :  1:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
@ Wilderness Woman: I could only imagine what all the good Colonel said to Cpl. Dammer; especially since his creative humor was legendary

@ richfed: Thank you Sachem, and I am still digging through my archives to find some more pics of noted board members at various 250th events. I will post them on this thread, as they are 're-discovered'

@ Fitzhugh Williams: Lady WW is correct Lad, civilian scarlet does not 'madder' (how is that for a pun?)... However, I do have a lovely madder-red (faced dark blue... of course), dart-laced, regimental & weskit for you to wear; along with an appropriate Government Sett feilidh-beag to complete the ensemble

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 17 2014 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I might be more of a white and blue type of person, actually.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Hiking the Crown Point Road ... Topic Next Topic: Lexington, ...  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.64 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07