The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 6:25:48 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 My Blog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Mohican Press Goes Facebook Topic Next Topic: Latest Edition of the Locations Guide Book Available!
Page: of 2

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 11 2015 :  10:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My Latest: Braddock's Defeat
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - July 16 2015 :  09:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great post Rich - a truly fascinating time in our history. Like most conflicts, a few small changes could easily have changed major outcomes. Washington seems to have lead a rather "charmed life" early in his career.
It was a shocking debacle. A superior force was nearly annihilated by an enemy barely half its size. The repercussions, though temporary, were tremendous. The French maintained exclusive control of the forks of the Ohio and the all important Ohio Valley. They had demonstrated their might by crushing a more numerous foe, convincing the united tribes of whom to call Father. Fort Duquesne stood proudly still.

One more thing. Had the fort fallen in 1755, it is very conceivable that Fort Niagara would have followed suit and the French, abandoned early on by their Indian allies, rolled up back into Canada. Very possibly, the siege at Fort William Henry might never have happened. There very well may never have been a The Last of the Mohicans tale to tell!

you can keep "The Change"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 17 2015 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"For reasons not fully known, they were late." The reason that they were late was that the Indians would not march with them. They had heard the inflated count of the British troupes and were waiting on another group, Potawatomi I think, before making a decision. Beaujeu spent the preceding day trying to convince them to march and attended their war council the night before. But the next morning they would not move. So after about two hours of waiting Beaujeu formed up the French and marched them to the edge of the woods. Then he went to the Indians and said that with of without them the French would march. And would they allow their French fathers to march alone? This was apparently enough to get the natives to move and the whole unit moved at some speed in an attempt to get to the river before the British could cross. Of course they didn't make it. The French milice broke and ran. The few regulars did stand but didn't make much of an impression. What ensued was the greatest victory ever of Native forces over a European opponent. In most other battles which were Native victories, the Natives outnumbered the Europeans. In THIS battle the reverse was true and that makes it unique.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 03 2021 :  2:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sort of forgot that I had started this thread. Well, I am so far behind now, I'll just leave it with a link to the whole shebang.

Richard's Meanderings ... The long, strange trip it has been … random thoughts, political statements & life misadventures!

Enjoy, there's something for everyone, especially if you're me!

Monadnock Hiker
Colonial Militia

August 31 2017

Posted - April 03 2021 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Said it before, but it bears repeating ... The music, Rush & The Fall of the Republic ... well done, & thanks.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 04 2021 :  3:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw that "Black Widow" post. I had forgotten all about that episode. Man, you really dodged a bullet that time!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 05 2021 :  2:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, she was a real killer!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Mohican Press Goes Facebook Topic Next Topic: Latest Edition of the Locations Guide Book Available!  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07