The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
5/3/2024 7:26:10 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Duncan's Gorget
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Movie still has memories apparently ... Topic Next Topic: North Carolina Museum of History LOTM Display  

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2005

Posted - February 05 2015 :  08:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a recent discussion of a totally different film, someone was pointing out inaccuracies and mentioned an English officer wearing a French gorget, and pointed out that it was the same gorget that Duncan wore in LOTM. I have never paid any attention to it, so I looked for pictures and haven't found any that show a close-up of his gorget. The person who said this is a researcher and I have never known him to be wrong about things like this. So I guess I will have to watch the movie again and look for the gorget!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 05 2015 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good to see someone doing some research here, ... no doubt you'll let us know.

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 07 2015 :  5:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fitz - what results did your research find???

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 07 2015 :  10:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So I watched the DVD on my computer where I have more control over the speed and things like screen capture, and this is what I found. The only time Duncan wears a gorget is in the Albany scene when he first arrives. After that, nothing for the entire movie. A lot of the time the gorget is mostly hidden by the sash, but when I was able to see the emblem, it is definitely French. Montcalm wears a French gorget, and Monro wears an English one. Now just how that researcher happened to notice the incorrect gorget, I don't know. He's good!!! To see the Montcalm/Monro gorgets look at the parlay scene. Good view of Monro's. Also, when Montcalm talks with Magua his is visible. Every time you think you have seen it all in LOTM something else comes up!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 08 2015 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Talk about an eye for detail ... However, over-all it does say a lot for the movie, the research that went into it. Doubt 99.89% of the audience had any idea ...

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - November 04 2015 :  1:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As I mentioned in my account of working on the movie, the prop crew had the gorgets and originally seemed to think they were just for the Indians. At least Moncalm had one by the time we filmed his scenes, but for some stupid reason it was dingy and tarnished-looking, though it at least was a French one!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 04 2015 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello James - been doing any more traveling lately??? The pics you post are always first class ...

Previous Topic: Movie still has memories apparently ... Topic Next Topic: North Carolina Museum of History LOTM Display  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07