The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 7:13:38 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 Any Other Military Encounters - 1492 - Present
 Horseshoe Bend
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Frontier: The Decisive Battles Topic Next Topic: Bushy Run August 5-6th 1763  

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - July 19 2002 :  08:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to visit a friend yesterday and decided to stop by the Military Park along the way for a little information gathering. I learned that because this is a National Military Park they are prohibited from doing any "reenacting" per se. Something about preserving the sacredness of the grounds. However, they do have periodic living history demonstrations.

So, for those who might be interested, August 24 they will have their third annual "Muster on the Tallapoosa." You can experience a recreated frontier militia muster of the War of 1812/Creek War era from 10:00 AM-4 PM. At 1 PM Dr. Kathryn Brand (Auburn University) will give a talk on Creek towns.

Then, March 29-30, 2003, which is the 189th anniversary of the battle, there will be a very large living history demonstration. Many from across the country participate in this.

All events are open and free to the public. I know that nobody here lives remotely close to this area, but if you're interested let me know and I'll be glad to guide you here. For more information you can call Horseshoe Bend National Military Park at 256-234-7111, or write to: Horseshoe Bend NMP, 11288 Horseshoe Bend RD, Daviston, AL 36256. Also, the website is www.nps.gov/hobe

In October they will be doing some filming to update the slide presentation they currently have in their auditorium. The young ranger told me to tell any of my reenactor friends if they're interested and if they do this era they would be welcome to participate.

I'll post these dates on the Events page here.

Theresa
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - August 24 2002 :  9:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, we ventured down to the "Muster on the Tallapoosa" today. They had several activities, displays, and a military encampment. The day started with the raising of the flag in front of the Visitor Center. There were several infantry firing demonstrations and then an artillery firing demonstration. After lunch, Dr. Kathryn Braund (Auburn University) did a talk titled "Buccanned Venison, Barbecued Bear Ribs and Thin Drink: A Gastronomic Tour of the Eighteenth Century Indian Country". This so SO interesting and when she began to speak of the game and how it gives of its life so the hunter can eat it and the spiritual aspect of that, thoughts of Bill Miller began to flood my brain. I remember him saying the exact same thing. She is also the author of Deerskins & Duffels: Creek Indian Trade With Anglo-America, 1685-1815 which we bought and Claude is now quite involved in. After her talk we had a brief encounter with David Crockett which was most enjoyable.

We walked the nature trail which took about an hour and with the heat and humidity it sorta reminded us of the "Batan Death March" we experienced back in June of 2001. Along the trail we saw many squirrels, two armadilloes (aka possum on the half-shell), and four turkeys all of which were Toms. Once we finished the trail walk we took the drive tour which is marked with tour stops giving good information about the sites. It was a fun and HOT day and I'm glad we went.

For those of you who don't have a clue about the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, it is the place where, on March 27, 1814, about 3,000 Tennessee frontier troops and U.S. regulars under the command of Andrew Jackson defeated about 1,000 Upper Creek Indians led by Chief Menawa. This ended the Creek Indian War and broke the tribe's power in the southeastern United States. Creek lands comprising three-fifths of the present State of Alabama and one-fifth of Georgia were added to the United States and opened for white settlement. For Andrew Jackson, the victory at Horseshoe Bend was the first step on the road to national fame and the White House. Nine months later, on January 8, 1815, he defeated the British in the Battle of New Orleans ending the War of 1812.

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 21 2002 :  12:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It sounds like an interesting experience. I can relate to the 'Bataan Death March' enviromental conditions. If you ever come to Bushy Run in August, you will find the same high heat/humidity (2002 was 100 degrees and 87% humidity, both days).

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Frontier: The Decisive Battles Topic Next Topic: Bushy Run August 5-6th 1763  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.22 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07