The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/18/2024 9:34:47 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Towne Crier's Square
 ATTENTION MOHICANLAND: MICHAEL MANN TO BE HONORED IN CHICAGO
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: A Sequel To LOTM??? Topic Next Topic: Question, ...  

rraffanti
Pathfinder

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
December 11 2004

Posted - March 14 2005 :  2:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Gene Siskel Film Center of the Art Institute of Chicago - 164 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 is proud to honor esteemed director and Chicago native Michael Mann with the Visionary Award For Innovation In Filmmaking at our Annual Gala on SATURDAY, APRIL 2, 2005. The event will feature an interview with Michael Mann hosted by "Ebert & Roeper" co-host Richard Roeper and a live auction of luxury travel packages and movie-related items. Tickets for the event begin at $300.00. For more information or to receive an invitation, please call 312-846-2072. For travel info., log on to http://www.artic.edu/saic/about/visitor/travel.html

Also, THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS will be shown on the big screen at the Gene Siskel Film Center (see address above) on Friday, March 25th at 8:00PM and on Easter Sunday, March 27th at 5:30PM.
Log onto www.siskelfilmcenter.org for a listing of other Michael Mann films that will also be showing.

COME ON DOWN!!!!

Rita T. Raffanti
report to moderator

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 14 2005 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Rita,

Thanks for sharing this info with everyone in Mohicanland!

I'm curious as to which version of LOTM will be shown...original theatrical release? VHS version? Director's "expanded" DVD version?

While we're on the topic of LOTM...I understand that the original version that Michael Mann wanted to release was about 3 hours in length! Any chance that SOMEBODY could persuade Michael Mann to release this film once again but THIS time, include all of that footage that wound up on the cutting room floor???

Rattlesnake Woman

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth." - Chief Seattle
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

rraffanti
Pathfinder

USA

December 11 2004

Posted - March 15 2005 :  1:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Diane and everyone in Mohicanland:

Thanks for replying to my post. I spoke with Monica at the Gene Siskel Film Center, and she told me it is the original version in 35mm wide screen format.

Is anyone in Mohicanland planning on attending this event? If so, let me know - let's have a Mohicanland contingent at this event - maybe we can talk to Mr. Mann about releasing the 3 hour version of LOTM that he originally planned.

Rita T. Raffanti

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - March 16 2005 :  10:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rraffanti

Hi Diane and everyone in Mohicanland:

Thanks for replying to my post. I spoke with Monica at the Gene Siskel Film Center, and she told me it is the original version in 35mm wide screen format.

Is anyone in Mohicanland planning on attending this event? If so, let me know - let's have a Mohicanland contingent at this event - maybe we can talk to Mr. Mann about releasing the 3 hour version of LOTM that he originally planned.

Rita T. Raffanti

Hey, that's a wonderful idea. C'mon, everyone let's grab our torches and go speak with Mr. Mann. The time has come, it's now or never!!
On a more serious note, I think this would be the perfect opportunity to have our voices heard.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 17 2005 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Believe me - if I had air fare to go round trip to Chicago AND a spare $300 to get into this event, I would DEFINITELY be there to stand on my little soap box and DEMAND that we get what we've ALL been waiting for and wanting for so long: the original, 3 hour long theatrical release version of LOTM!

I wonder...might there be some other, less expensive (but just as effective) way for us to get this message across to Michael Mann???

Rattlesnake Woman

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2005 :  7:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ARGH! Of all the times that I move out West!
I would bring my torch!

Those who attend, let us know how things go!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - March 18 2005 :  01:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Is there anyone we know that's attending this ceremony? I wish I lived closer to Chicago, so I could personally deliver him our message. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 18 2005 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well...since "The event will feature an interview with Michael Mann hosted by "Ebert & Roeper" co-host Richard Roeper," my suggestion would be for us to somehow contact Mr. Roeper & have him ask Michael Mann if he would release LOTM again - only THIS time, as the original, uncut, 3-hour-long theatrical version that we've all been wanting for years!

Even cast members would have liked to see the movie run longer; below is part of the Mohicanpress interview with Russel Means (go to http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06009.html for the full interview - it's awesome!).

Russel Means said, in part:

quote:
What was sad was what 20th Century Fox did to the movie. They forced the cutting ... the director’s cut, Michael Mann’s cut, was two hours long, which is the norm for movies right now. Almost all movies, right now, are running two hours long, except Disney movies which run 90 minutes ... Disney’s CHILDREN movies. So, had they had the foresight, they could have really made that into an epic. There are two things that 20th Century did wrong. One, they cut it to 108 minutes. It’s an hour and forty-eight minutes. Had they let it go another 12 minutes, there were some very pertinent scenes in there, and dialogue, that would have shown the Indians in an even better light than it already does. It’s already outstanding! There would have been more understanding OF THAT TIME, 1754, you know? The cabin scene would have been longer. And the scenes they cut about Uncas and his relationship with the white woman. There were more scenes in there, you know like LOOKS. Just looks, but those looks - every time they cut those out - so that you got a stronger sense that there was something really there. Anyway, it would have made the movie that much fuller. And everyone I’ve talked to, who’s seen the movie after that, always said they sat there and they wanted more. And so did I, but I knew the script.

SO, how 'bout it, Michael Mann?!

Rattlesnake Woman

rraffanti
Pathfinder

USA

December 11 2004

Posted - March 18 2005 :  5:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello Fellow Torchbearers!!

Some of you have been wondering if there would be a cheaper way to attend this event at the Gene Siskel Film Center in Chicago. I want to add that in my conversation with Monica at the Gene Siskel Film Center, I asked if there would be any student rates for this event, as there had been for some others. She said no,unfortunately,not for this one - oh, rats!!

Rita Raffanti

rraffanti
Pathfinder

USA

December 11 2004

Posted - March 18 2005 :  6:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Diane B.:

I REALLY LIKE your idea:
Since "The event will feature an interview with Michael Mann hosted by "Ebert & Roeper" co-host Richard Roeper," my suggestion would be for us to somehow contact Mr. Roeper & have him ask Michael Mann if he would release LOTM again - only THIS time, as the original, uncut, 3-hour-long theatrical version that we've all been wanting for years!
Even cast members would have liked to see the movie run longer; below is part of the Mohicanpress interview with Russel Means (go to http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06009.html for the full interview...."

ALL RIGHT THEN, MOHICANLAND AND FELLOW TORCHBEARERS, HERE IS RICHARD ROEPER'S E-MAIL ADDRESS:

E-mail: rroeper@suntimes.com

LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!

Rita Raffanti

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - March 18 2005 :  6:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by rraffanti

Hey Diane B.:

I REALLY LIKE your idea:
Since "The event will feature an interview with Michael Mann hosted by "Ebert & Roeper" co-host Richard Roeper," my suggestion would be for us to somehow contact Mr. Roeper & have him ask Michael Mann if he would release LOTM again - only THIS time, as the original, uncut, 3-hour-long theatrical version that we've all been wanting for years!
Even cast members would have liked to see the movie run longer; below is part of the Mohicanpress interview with Russel Means (go to http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06009.html for the full interview...."

ALL RIGHT THEN, MOHICANLAND AND FELLOW TORCHBEARERS, HERE IS RICHARD ROEPER'S E-MAIL ADDRESS:

E-mail: rroeper@suntimes.com.

LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!

Rita Raffanti

Wow, thanks a million Rita and Diane B....
I think your ideas are great and I personally want to thank the both of you for your input. This is definitely the only way for those who can't make it to have their voices heard. I'm going to e-mail Mr. Roeper and give him my input. I would love it if everyone here did the same, so we can have a bigger chance at having MM at least respond to the question. It seems like this is the perfect chance for us to at least try to put the idea in his head. C'mon everyone, grab your torches and lets fill up Mr. Roeper's e-mail box with our questions/comments. I have a feeling that if he receives tons of e-mails from us, he might consider asking MM the question. Hey, he might even mention us (Mohicanites) during the interview.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 18 2005 :  9:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings, Everyone,

Below is a copy of the email that I just sent to Mr. Roeper, with the subject line "Your Upcoming Interview With Michael Mann":

Dear Mr. Roeper,

As an avid fan of Michael Mann's 1992 release of "The Last Of The Mohicans," I am writing to you concering your upcoming interview with Mr. Mann. I speak with the same voice as many others: we have long wished for an updated, re-release of this marvelous film in its complete, uncut, original version, and we would be indebted to you if you would please ask Mr. Mann if he would "please consider that."

We want it all and, if I may, I will quote here portions of an interview with Russel Means, who portraryed Chingachcook ; and before I do, I must tell you that this interview was copied from a website which is devoted to this movie, and has also evolved into a most marvelous virtual community http://www.mohicanpress.com/ . This website - and its host and founder, Mr. Rich Federici - are truly unwavering in their love and support of this truly classic version of the James Fennimore Cooper classic tale, and if you - and Mr. Mann - were previously unaware of its existence, we would like to make you aware of the fact that "Once...WE were here!"

As for the afore mentioned interview, Russel Means said, in part: "What was sad was what 20th Century Fox did to the movie. They forced the cutting ... the director’s cut, Michael Mann’s cut, was two hours long, which is the norm for movies right now... It’s an hour and forty-eight minutes. Had they let it go another 12 minutes, there were some very pertinent scenes in there, and dialogue, that would have shown the Indians in an even better light than it already does. It’s already outstanding! There would have been more understanding OF THAT TIME, 1754, you know? The cabin scene would have been longer. And the scenes they cut about Uncas and his relationship with the white woman. There were more scenes in there, you know like LOOKS. Just looks, but those looks - every time they cut those out - so that you got a stronger sense that there was something really there. Anyway, it would have made the movie that much fuller. And everyone I’ve talked to, who’s seen the movie after that, always said they sat there and they wanted more. And so did I, but I knew the script."

Mr. Roeper, please speak to Mr. Mann and make him aware of the many fans of "The Last of The Mohicans" and let him know that we are hungry for MORE! We thank you, in advance, for your kind consideration.

Sincerely,

Diane Bunch

Rattlesnake Woman

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - March 19 2005 :  06:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Diane B, very nice and informative. I'll let everyone see mine once I'm done with my draft and have submitted it to Mr. Roeper. You definitely didn't waste any time, it's good to know that our voices will be heard.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 19 2005 :  08:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Rattlesnake Woman! Great job! Great idea!

You know, I was sitting here thinking of whether or not I should "do it again." Another [the third!] Director's Cut Drive, as we did twice before years ago ...

Very glad you interceded and took action ... my energy level & enthusiasm ain't what it used to be.

This is a very good tactic!! So folks, start sending those E-mails!! By the way, Michael Mann IS aware of this web site ... Forward Pass called us a long time ago - I think it may have been during one of those DC Drives, I forget - MM was looking at the site as we spoke. As I mentioned several times before, he ordered 6 copies of the guide book, too, after receiving a complimentary copy we had sent.

Anyway ... Thanks again, Diane! You, too, Rita!

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 19 2005 :  09:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings, Sachem Rich! Good to see you!

You wrote:
quote:
This is a very good tactic!!

I'm glad that you & others liked my suggestion! I must admit that the idea came from remembering something wonderful that occured between you & I several years ago...which began with an email from me & then progressed to the following online conversation between us:

richfed@mohicanpress.com says:
Thank you you for the very kind e-mail ... Regards ...
DIANE says:
You're welcome, sir. I'm very glad to know that I'm not the only one up at this crazy hour!
Nope!
DIANE says:
I'm off to get dressed to go to work. Have a blessed and beautiful day in Mohicanland!
And you ... your e-mail, by the way, caused a bit of a swing within me to do another Gathering. Have a good one!

And NOW, in your reply to my latest suggestion, you wrote something that just reminded me again of that whole experience:
quote:
You know, I was sitting here thinking of whether or not I should "do it again."
For a moment there, I thought I had you heading up "just one more!"

Let's just hope that our combined email campaign to Mr. Roeper will help to convince Michael Mann to give us ALL of LOTM in its original, uncut version!

Rattlesnake Woman

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 19 2005 :  10:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

Bravo, Diane. Hopefully you'll receive good news from your letter. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Theresa

Yogi
Pathfinder

May 29 2002

Posted - March 19 2005 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great letter, Diane! You've inspired me. I'm going to start right now to compose one of my own to send to Mr. Roeper. It would be great if we could convince Michael Mann to produce a longer version of LOTM and to re-release it nationwide in theaters! Hey, it worked for George Lucas.

Pat

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - March 19 2005 :  4:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Mr. Roeper,
my congratulations to you in your successfully filling some rather large shoes at “Ebert & Roeper”. I can imagine it may have been a bit intimidating initially to take the challenge on.
At any rate, I’ve learned you’re going to be interviewing Michael Mann shortly. I would humbly ask that you question Mr. Mann about his 1992 classic “Last of the Mohicans”. It is rumored that there was a 3 hour version of the film which was edited by 20th Century Fox to just under 2 hours. The fans of this film, myself included, are rabid for a definitive version to be released on DVD. I would ask that you suss Mr. Mann out as to his feelings on a new version of the film.
In this age of advanced editing techniques it seems as if it would be relatively simple and inexpensive to re-edit and re-release the film to a profit. In addition the popularity of films such as Dances With Wolves, The Patriot, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Braveheart, The Last Samurai all the way back to Lawrence of Arabia and The Seven Samurai tell us that audiences love long, lush action packed epics. This film has that potential. Mr. Manns’ heavy hitting sense of action and sensuality combines perfectly with Coopers dramatic canon of early-American tales of romance and adventure.
In addition, regarding his upcoming Miami Vice film- will Wes Studi be playing Lieutenant Castille?
I thank you for your time. Regardless of your decision to include any of my submitted questions I hope your interview goes well and wish you continued success in your endeavors."

-I just sent this, hope he takes these messages into account and rakes Mr. Mann over the coals!

Donna
Colonial Settler

last of the mohicans
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 19 2005 :  6:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Donna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rita,
Thank you so much for posting this information. I would love to go to
Chicago but it's not possible. I hope someone could be there for us.
I'll start writing my email right after this post.

Diane,
Thanks for the great email reference. If you don't mind I'll use a
few parts of it to show our unity. You sure lit my fire to get on
board.

Rich,
Thanks for sending out the link to this post. I would have missed this opportunity if you hadn't.
It's funny I was just looking at some of my last gathering photo's. So I was thinking of everyone
and then I saw your email. I hope you're going to email Mr.
Roeper too. I think you should attach one of the pictures of our
largest gathering group at Chimney Rock.
I hope everyone gets in on this.
Donna

Been onboard since 1998.

"Push hard, 'cos you got to clear the French outpost by dawn."

AliceH
Pathfinder

The Kiss
USA

February 21 2005

Posted - March 20 2005 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just sent the following email to Mr. Roeper. I sure hope he will ask this question for us, and hopefully, Michael Mann will listen!

Dear Mr. Roeper:

First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this email. Please congratulate Mr. Mann on the recent Oscar nomination for "The Aviator". I saw him interviewed on the red carpet and am such a fan of his work.

I was also wondering if you would be so kind as to ask Michael Mann a question about "Last of the Mohicans". As an avid fan of Michael Mann's 1992 release of "The Last Of The Mohicans," I am wondering if he would please consider releasing an updated, re-release of this marvelous film in its complete, uncut, original version. We (our virtual community of fans at www.mohicanpress.com) would be indebted to you if you would ask Mr. Mann this question for us.

There are many great films that have been made. Michael Mann has been involved with most of the films I consider on my top-10 list. "Last of the Mohicans" tops my list and it would be so wonderful to be able to see the film in its entirety - uncut - with deleted scenes.

Mr. Roeper, please ask Mr. Mann this question for me and for the many fans of "The Last of The Mohicans". I thank you, in advance, for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Alice Heath
aliceheath@charter.net

Thanks to everybody for getting the word out!

Alice H

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 29 2005 :  8:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello, Everyone!

I wanted to be sure to resurrect this thread in plenty of time to remind everyone of what Rita first told us about earlier this month:
quote:
The Gene Siskel Film Center of the Art Institute of Chicago - 164 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60601 is proud to honor esteemed director and Chicago native Michael Mann with the Visionary Award For Innovation In Filmmaking at our Annual Gala on SATURDAY, APRIL 2, 2005. The event will feature an interview with Michael Mann hosted by "Ebert & Roeper" co-host Richard Roeper and a live auction of luxury travel packages and movie-related items.

APRIL 2ND - THAT'S THIS COMING SATURDAY, FOLKS!!! I hope everyone has already seen this great thread (thanks again, Rita! ) & that everyone has sent their emails to Mr. Roeper about his upcoming interview with Michael Mann!

Rich says this is the third concentrated effort by this message board & website to convince Mr. Mann to release the original theatrical version of LOTM, in its entirety! I have always heard "the third time's the charm" so let's keep our fingers crossed!

And for anyone who is just now learning about this: if you haven't sent an email to Mr. Roeper, DO IT NOW - WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

This may be our last best chance to persuade Michael Mann to give us LOTM in its magnificent entirety, the way it was MEANT to be seen...added footage, deleted scenes and ALL!

Hey, Rita - any idea when we might perhaps see some actual footage of Mr. Roeper's interview with Michael Mann, or perhaps see something in print???

Rattlesnake Woman

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 30 2005 :  12:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, you talked me into writing.
I sent off a little note to Mr. Roeper to sit on MM until he agrees to release the full version of LOTM.... just kidding!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Diane B.
Colonial Militia

Dream Catcher 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 30 2005 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good for you, Caitlin! I'm hoping lots of others from Mohicanland have or will do the same & that MM will finally release a full, uncut, original version of LOTM!!! Boy, wouldn't I love to add THAT to my video library!

Rattlesnake Woman

silentthunder
Pioneer

Hawkeye 4
USA

December 15 2004

Posted - April 02 2005 :  07:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Today's the day everyone!! Hopefully this is our lucky day, and we'll get what we've been striving so hard for. I send my e-mail last week to Mr. Roeper and my fingers are crossed. I hope we bombarded his mailbox, leaving him no choice but discuss the issue with MM.

Mitaku Oyasin...
We are all related
  Previous Topic: A Sequel To LOTM??? Topic Next Topic: Question, ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07