The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 5:16:18 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 250th Anniversary of the Siege of Fort Niagara
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: History Meets the Arts 2010 Topic Next Topic: New and Improved Augusta Regiment website
Page: of 2

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 12 2009 :  09:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be yet another amazing event in the long string of events that have been commemorating the 250th anniversary of the French and Indian War. Our war!! It will also be one of the last.

From the fiw250th website:

Siege of Fort Niagara

On July 1 [1759], Brigadier John Prideaux led about 2,500 British-American soldiers and 1,000 Iroquois warriors to Fort Niagara, under French control led by Captain Pierre Pouchot. The British bombarded the fort with cannon and mortars. After nearly a month of fighting, Captain Pouchot surrendered.

With the subsequent fall of Fort Carillon (Ticonderoga) to the British less than a month later, it was the beginning of the end for the French in the American colonies.

I am looking forward to this one nearly as much as I did last year's huge 250th of the Battle of Fort Carillon. The event organizers are saying they have over 2,000 re-enactors registered. It is a 3-day event, with lots of things planned, including a nighttime artillery "fight." I have not yet seen one, but have heard that they are absolutely spectacular. I cannot wait!

Fort Niagara is another one of several absolutely gorgeous and impressive New York frontier forts. It comes a very close second to my favorite... Fort Ticonderoga. Here are a couple of photos:

Aerial view, with Lake Ontario in the background.

Image Insert:

29.16 KB

The backside of the "Castle" taken from the lake.

Image Insert:

47.85 KB

And you can go here for a Virtual Tour of the fort.

If you have an interest in seeing one of the biggest, grandest French and Indian War Re-enactments ever presented, in a spectacular, original period setting... this is the place to do it.

So.... who will be there?

Me, Sarge, Fitz... anyone else?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 12 2009 :  12:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I will be there. But don't get too excited about the night time artillery duel. They did this at Oswego in 2006. Problem is that it stays light so late then, it's really not night when they start. And they have to wait 10 minutes between rounds, so you can eat a sandwich and drink a glass of Cherry Bounce between firings. I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of my unit. I only see them once or twice a year at most. And I am taking some extra money to buy some of Michel Nicol's pottery and dinner wear. And carrying some good wine this time, since I don't have to transport it into Canada.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 12 2009 :  1:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey!!! Don't burst my Bubble of Anticipation!

According to the public schedule, the Friday Night Bombardment won't begin until 9:30 PM (should be just about dark by then) and will last until 10:30 PM. They are saying that each 6 pounder and under should have 12 shots, and over 6 pounders should have 6 shots. I don't know how many artillery pieces will be there, but it could get pretty noisy!

Are you being facetious about the 10-minute intervals? At Newtown Battlefield State Park, we require a 5-minute delay between shots for the same cannon. So, if there are several there, they can rotate and keep the firing going pretty constantly. I believe the different bores require different delay times, but I don't know what the Black Powder regs. say for each bore.

Btw, the Nighttime Bombardment will be accompanied by fireworks and the troops doing a feu de joie! Wow!!!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 12 2009 :  10:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The NY State Park regs say 10 min interval. Some states have a 5 min interval. Some organizations use only 3. And some fire as fast as they can load, mostly in the Civil War community. All depends on who is hosting the event, and on whose land it is being held. That is one reason I have no interest in doing artillery, even though one of my units is asked to fire a cannon owned by a historic site.

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - June 19 2009 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What a beautiful site and a spectacular view! Someday I'll get north of PA. And the fact that Canada is close by gets me all excited too-I so want to get myself a passport and go up there! By the way Fitz-I couldn't find any sign of well wishes for your birthday and I'm so sorry I missed it by so long. We've just made some changes with our shop and were in the middle of moving our store which can be described as nothing but chaotic! So that is why I haven't been online for several weeks. That being said, Fitz!

Kay

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 19 2009 :  2:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks very much. I have had enough of them so they are just another day!

If you go to Canada, go to Louisbourg.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 30 2009 :  08:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was just wondering who from this board will be at Niagara, and when and where will they be?

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 30 2009 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Fitz asked: I was just wondering who from this board will be at Niagara, and when and where will they be?

I will be there with my family, and some of the 'characters' from my historical fiction (AKA- Grahams Coy., 42nd RHR), late Thursday evening. And we will be billeted with the rest of His Majesty's forces in the British camp, of course...

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - June 30 2009 :  12:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am packing some "Colonial" clothing so that I can pass myself off as a Brit when I visit the other side of the field.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 06 2009 :  1:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WOW!!!

My hat is really off to the organizers of this event. From my female camp-follower viewpoint, it was absolutely marvelous in every way possible. It was just about the smoothest-run event I have ever seen, and it was jam-packed with tons of stuff to see and do. The soldiers were kept very busy over the entire 3 days. The battle scenarios were pretty spectacular to watch, and the sound of war was incredible!

I was most pleased to meet up with, exchange hugs, and chat with Fitz on two occasions, and I got my Big Hug from Big Sarge. I also briefly saw and spoke with our English Trader (aka Chauncey Goodrich, aka Sarah Melcher). Chauncey was also at Fort Ti the weekend before, and I spoke with her there. Another former Mohicanlander, Kurt, was also at both events, and I spoke with him briefly. Unfortunately, we never all met up at the same time. The camp layout was huge, and there were about 2500 re-enactors there. With the busy schedule, it was not an easy thing to socialize!

This one goes into my Memory Cache as one of the very best, along with the Fort Ti/Carillon 250th last year.

Glorious!!

Photos to come.....

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 06 2009 :  10:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Wilderness Woman said: ...and I got my Big Hug from Big Sarge.

Aye Lassie, and the pleasure was all mine

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 07 2009 :  6:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just flew in from Niagara and boy are my arms tired!

I had very little time to do anything since our unit pulled guard duty two days straight. But it was fun. My face is still sun burned and matches my tuque. I haven't even started to unpack the car, but I guess I had better do it soon since it is a rental.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 08 2009 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, Joyce, I'm a-waiting for the photos!!

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - July 08 2009 :  5:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Me too, Joyce! I vaguely remember Kurt -- any idea why he's a FORMER Mohicanlander?

Fitz, I was not familiar with Michel Nicol, so I Google'd the name. What beautiful pottery he makes!

http://www.geocities.com/greenware.geo/second.html

I sure hope you found him and were able to purchase more of it. He performs a great service to the reenacting community. And while I don't know the exact shape of a "chocolatiere," it sounds like a very important thing to have.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 29 2009 :  1:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Whew! It has been a busy month, but I am finally able to post some photos, as promised.

First and foremost.... h-e-e-e-e-e-r-e they are: Fitz and Wilderness Woman, in all of their Glory!

Image Insert:

70.96 KB

Next, we have a gorgeous view of the inside of the fort, taken from one of the walls. You are looking at the French camp with the so-called French Castle that was built in 1726 in the background. It is absolutely breathtaking in its stark beauty!

Image Insert:

71.52 KB

The next photo is of our group -- a combined gathering of members from both the 3rd Battalion Pennsylvania (the Augusta Regiment) and the 1st Battalion Pennsylvania (Weiser's Regiment). I am the lady in the straw hat.

Image Insert:

63.1 KB

This photo was taken at the Fort Ticonderoga event this year. The Gentle Giant in the center is....... Kurt!

Image Insert:

85.22 KB

For those of you who only vaguely remember Kurt, he was the one who was quietly in the background here on the boards several years ago, but posted a quote from Benjamin Franklin every day. He is a quiet and shy man, who towers over me (I'm 5'9"!). Yes, a Gentle Giant, for sure.

And finally, I have one more photo to share. This was taken a couple of weekends ago at Fort Ligonier. It was a small event that commemorated the 1759 French attack on an outer redoubt at the fort. It was a desperate last minute attack that was easily repelled by the troops stationed at the fort, with the help of the fort's artillery.

This photo has two more Mohicanland members in it. Seamus is the officer in the foreground (green coat). And the person on the far left in the red coat is none other than our English Trader, aka Chauncey Goodrich, aka Sarah Melcher! Older posters and Gatherers from long ago will remember Chauncey. Chauncey has a new gig! He (she) is a member of the 60th Regiment of Foote now, but he is also still a Rogers Ranger, at times.

Sorry I didn't get a better photo of Sarah, but she was on the move.

Image Insert:

71.1 KB

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - July 29 2009 :  4:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Some very good pictures Joyce, - I see you're wearing a "striped skirt", and particular reason? ;) .... Isn't Chauncy into "trekking" also?? Seems I read something a long time ago about her doing what amounts to (hiking) trekking using 18th century tents, clothes, canteens, etc.???

you can keep "The Change"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 29 2009 :  6:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice to see Sarah and Fitz & Seamus & you, WW. Great shots. Now, as for Kurt - and, yes, it is good to see him, too [for the first time!!!] - MAN, he's a big boy! Or is it, BOY, he's a big man???? And that gun! Looks like a log! I miss the north country!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 29 2009 :  10:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad to see the pics! I think that one was made on Saturday after 7 hours of guard duty and two battles. By that time I was just a little tired, but not to tired to visit the sutlers and return with a market wallet full of goodies. That is a striped skirt, isn't it? You worked in the infirmary no doubt.

Next weekend is Crown Point. Can't miss that one.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 30 2009 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad you all like the photos.

Yeah.... it's a "striped skirt." That was the first petticoat I made, even before I became a re-enactor. I was preparing for volunteering at Newtown for the 225th. I searched all over the internet to find striped linen, and it's still one of my favorites.

Nope. No infirmary work for me. I'm a seamstress and sometimes-laundress.

Yes, MG... Chauncey has done trekking and progressive-type tacticals on Lake George, as has Seamus. I don't know if she still does them or not.

Fitz, you did look a little sunburned and tired, but it was so refreshing to see you wearing something other than that Miss-yer Lay-Fran-say Froggie stuff!

Btw, I took a photo of you at the final ceremony inside the fort on Sunday, but it didn't turn out well enough to post here. I was standing behind our guys in another part of the big circle, and I spotted you as our Indian allies went along to see what they could pilfer from the Frenchies. I took a photo of you from between two of the guys' heads. But, my camera automatically focused on them, rather than on you, so you are quite blurry.

Do you mean you are coming all the way back up north to attend Crown Point? I didn't even know about that event until just the other day. I don't know whether our regiment received an invitation to that.

It's sad to think that right now, we would be on our way to Quebec City for the big event there, if that whole silliness had not happened to cause it to be cancelled. How unfortunate.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 30 2009 :  1:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Glad you all like the photos.
Fitz, you did look a little sunburned and tired, but it was so refreshing to see you wearing something other than that Miss-yer Lay-Fran-say Froggie stuff!

Well, I hate to disappoint, but I am wearing my Compangie franches de la Marine breeches, gilet, standard issue French shirt, and Compagnie franches hat. So, really, French all the way. And you were standing next to me

quote:

Do you mean you are coming all the way back up north to attend Crown Point? I didn't even know about that event until just the other day. I don't know whether our regiment received an invitation to that.

It was on the Pequawket Alliance list of events since last fall. I haven't heard much about it, but we are planning a big dinner on Saturday night.

quote:

It's sad to think that right now, we would be on our way to Quebec City for the big event there, if that whole silliness had not happened to cause it to be cancelled. How unfortunate.

All is not lost! A local radio station has organized a water gun battle for next Sunday to replace it. Couillons!

http://lejournaldequebec.canoe.ca/journaldequebec/actualites/quebec/archives/2009/07/20090720-194254.html

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 30 2009 :  1:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, WW. We received zero information on Crown Point. Good Wyfe and I stopped by it last year when we were at Ti (same weekend) for the Officers' Dinner to 'smoke it over'.....not much of an event....very small, almost as wet as Ti last year! Did see some friends there....Dan Scroth, Wade Wells to name a couple. Wade was the state-appointed safety man. Way too far out of the way to even consider it as a possibility for us.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 30 2009 :  2:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Last year Crown Point was just after Louisbourg. That may have had an effect on the event. I know it did for me.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 30 2009 :  8:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

Way too far out of the way to even consider it as a possibility for us.

It's only a few miles north of Fort Ti!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 30 2009 :  8:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

... So, really, French all the way. And you were standing next to me.

Only because you looked so totally..... normal and Colonial. You weren't wearing that silly red thing you call a hat on your head. Hmmmmph!

quote:

All is not lost! A local radio station has organized a water gun battle for next Sunday to replace it. Couillons!

Cool!

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 31 2009 :  06:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW says: "It's only a few miles north of Fort Ti!"

Yeah....tag it onto the ride from down here and it adds up, and you know the results.

It's still not worth it.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 02 2009 :  5:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

Only because you looked so totally..... normal and Colonial. You weren't wearing that silly red thing you call a hat on your head. Hmmmmph!

Now don't you think I look better in this picture

than in this one?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: History Meets the Arts 2010 Topic Next Topic: New and Improved Augusta Regiment website  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.43 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07