The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
3/28/2024 1:38:05 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 2 Days at the Hospital ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: My Contact Info & The Web Site Topic Next Topic: A Personal Update!
Page: of 2

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 05 2012 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For those of you who weren't aware ... I recently had a heart catheterization.

From elsewhere:

OK --- Home now -- thank you all who wished me well. I had one artery blockage of 95%, so I ended up at Mission Hospital to have a stent put in. Amazing procedure. And, I caught it in time. Everything else was pretty good. I feel fine; just soreness in my leg where the tube was run. Back to work Monday. I don't know if any of you have undergone this procedure, but it's pretty much a piece of cake
-- the worst part, other than that I hate being in the hospital, was the pressure they need to put on the entry point - your groin - once they pull the tube out, which was last night about 8, or so. Since it's through an artery, they really need to stop any bleeding and allow it to clot. Anyway, great staff made it bearable. Good to be fixed! And now I get to carry my very own bottle of nitroglycerin. Quite a status symbol!!
report to moderator

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 05 2012 :  8:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wasn't aware of it Rich, - certainly glad everything worked out so well. No question about it, - hospital stays are to be avoided at all cost if possible, - NOT habit forming. Get some exercise EVERYDAY & stay healthy, ...

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 06 2012 :  7:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad to hear that you pulled through Sachem. My dad was in for a triple-bypass in late August; and after a week-long hospital stay he was back to eating his fetticine alfredo, and chasing the ladies

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - November 07 2012 :  5:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You mean you don't like those fashionable hospital gowns?!!

Good to hear you're on the mend, Rich.

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 11 2012 :  1:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I actually mooned a couple of RNs ... by accident, of course. Darn gowns. I have since developed a hematoma in my groin at the artery. Went to the cardiologist; seems to be doing better. I still haven't made it back to work. Tuesday it is looking like.

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 16 2012 :  06:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I am glad to know all went well!

I think they should take advantage of the gowns and put advertising on the backside... It would get lots of views!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - November 25 2012 :  7:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Boy, am I late to this topic. . .but, Rich, listen to what they tell you about eating and exercise. I used to work in Cardiac Rehab, for people who have gone through procedures like yours, or bypass or actually had a heart attack and survived. If they offer Cardiac Rehab to you, do it. If not, ask about it. You don't want to go through this again, so it may be "time for a change" in some areas of your life.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 11 2013 :  08:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Rich, it looks like I have some of your problems. I call it the "Munro Syndrome" because someone is messing with your heart! Anyway, I had the cardiac cath done Tuesday, only they went in through the wrist, not the leg, and I was out in no time. None of that laying there with pressure on the groin and all. But there was too much blockage in too many places for stints, so I go back for bypass surgery in a couple of weeks. I guess that will take me out of circulation for a while. But I haven't had a heart attach so there is no muscle damage. That's good. So I guess they will cut me open, just like Magua did Munro. But I plan to make sure the doctor doesn't have any Huron blood.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 11 2013 :  09:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All though I'm sure you won't need it, - it goes without saying Fitz, ... the best of luck. Keep us advised of things during your recovery, ...

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 11 2013 :  5:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My goodness, Fitz! I think it must be catching! Sorry to hear that you need to have surgery. I know that everything will go well, but just in case... prayers going your way.

Btw, I had just seen something on Dr. Oz not too long ago about that new through the wrist technique. Sure does seem like that's the way to go. Hopefully, they will be doing it here, if I ever need to have one in the future.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 11 2013 :  6:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The wrist thing was no problem at all. And I went home a couple of hours after it was done. The only danger is that the wrist will start bleeding, so you can't lift anything with that hand (right hand) for a couple of days. Or drive the car. The reason you can't drive is that if the wrist should start bleeding, you put the thumb of your other hand over the incision to stop it, and you can't do that and drive. Mine never bled any, but I guess it could have. And there was no soreness what so ever afterwards. Now, if they had put in a stint or two I would have had to stay there overnight so they could monitor it. But even then I would have been home the next day.

The thing about the bypass is that, like Magua, they will have to cut through the bone to get to the heart and it takes bone a while to heal. Probably a month at least. So I will have to be careful. But the next time someone calls me a heartless bastard I will have absolute proof that is not true ! ''

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 12 2013 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yikes, Fitz! That sucks!! A guy I work with had six bypasses about 10 or 11 years ago ... said he woke up feeling like a tomahawk was in his chest. 5 of the 6 are clogged again!! How's that for a pep talk!!! :-) Sorry ... wish you the very best on this experience.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 12 2013 :  6:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Results
By Mayo Clinic staff
Heart-Healthy Living

Subscribe to our Heart-Healthy Living e-newsletter to stay up to date on heart-health topics.

After surgery, most people feel better and may remain symptom-free for as long as 10 to 15 years. Over time, however, it's likely that other arteries or even the new graft used in the bypass will become clogged, requiring another bypass or angioplasty.

Although bypass surgery improves blood supply to the heart, it doesn't cure underlying coronary artery disease. Your results and long-term outcome will depend in part on taking your medication as directed and following healthy lifestyle recommendations, such as these:

Stop smoking.
Control diabetes.
Follow a healthy-eating plan, such as the DASH diet.
Reduce cholesterol levels.
Maintain a healthy weight.
Control blood pressure.
Manage diabetes.
Exercise.

In addition to lifestyle changes you'll need to make after your surgery, your doctor may also recommend a cardiac rehabilitation program. Cardiac rehabilitation also called cardiac rehab is a customized program of exercise and education, designed to help you recover after a heart attack, from other forms of heart disease or after surgery to treat heart disease. Cardiac rehabilitation often begins while you're still in the hospital and continues with monitored programs in an outpatient setting until home-based maintenance programs can be safely followed.
I'd say your co-worker was right on the time line Rich, ...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 12 2013 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

.. said he woke up feeling like a tomahawk was in his chest.

Hence my term "Magua Syndrome".

quote:
Originally posted by Monadnock Guide

Stop smoking.
Control diabetes.
Follow a healthy-eating plan, such as the DASH diet.
Reduce cholesterol levels.
Maintain a healthy weight.
Control blood pressure.
Manage diabetes.
Exercise.

I have been doing all that for some time now. My first cousin, who is a few years older than me, had bypass surgery 19 years ago and is still doing fine. Like all the Williams family she had heart disease. But the good thing is I haven't had a heart attack so there is no muscle damage. Rehab should be quicker. Hopefully.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 20 2013 :  05:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Going in this week Fitz??? ...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 20 2013 :  09:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, it's set for noon on Wednesday, but past experience has shown that the actual time can vary a lot. I will be glad to get it over. I was at Cowpens yesterday and could not do a lot because of this feeling in my chest and arm. I carried my nitro just in case, but did not need it. I sure hope this fixes all that.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 21 2013 :  07:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Best wishes this week Fitz! I'll be thinking of you and praying for a quick recovery.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 21 2013 :  07:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good Luck Fitz!!! I know that a tough old bird like you will pull-through, and feel better afterwards.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

-Or-

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 21 2013 :  08:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Prayers are greatly appreciated, especially if they are in French ! When they did the cardiac cath they let me keep my Jesuit rings on. Maybe they will this time too. I hope after I recover (and all) I can then hike into Table Rock with a reasonable expectation of returning.

By the way, Sarge, are you going to Fort Fred this July?

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 21 2013 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fitz... leave your rings and all other jewelry, including your wedding band, at home. They will make you remove them in pre-op anyway, and it's just easier and more secure to leave them at home. It's very common to have some fluid build-up and swelling after open heart surgery, and that could cause problems for rings. Also, rings harbor bacteria so you want to keep that sort of thing away from your sternal wound until you are healed.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 21 2013 :  7:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll be thinking of you and offering prayers, too. They will NOT be in French; however, I am quite certain they will work just as well.

I know you will be fine, and will be back on the field by the GE in July.

Be well and Godspeed, my friend.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 21 2013 :  9:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Fitz asked: By the way, Sarge, are you going to Fort Fred this July?

Yes I am; Colonel Patarcity asked me to be Sergeant-Major of the His Majesty's Crown Forces.

I hope to raise a glass (or two or three) with you, old friend

YMH&OS
The Sarge

-Or-

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 22 2013 :  08:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Keep us up-to-date when you can Fitz.

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 22 2013 :  6:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fitz...just heard about this. Our thouhts and prayers are with you. Claude had this done 5.5 years ago. His was triple by-pass. Please let us know how things are going when you can. God bless you, my friend.

Theresa

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - January 26 2013 :  6:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK, Fitz ... waiting on you to check-in!!! Praying for you, 'bro!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - January 26 2013 :  8:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ditto, ...

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: My Contact Info & The Web Site Topic Next Topic: A Personal Update!  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.81 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07