The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/23/2024 7:26:42 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICAN BOARD COURIER
 The Weekly Update ... !
 My Contact Info & The Web Site
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Latest Edition of the Locations Guide Book Available! Topic Next Topic: 2 Days at the Hospital ...  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 16 2012 :  10:41:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys and gals ---

I will be retiring at the end of January, 2013. Because of that, my income will decrease and I'll be watching more closely how I spend my money. For years now up-keeping this web site has been a drain financially, but usually the book sales, a donation here and there, and the occasional wampum sale made it either worthwhile or I felt guilty to let it go. I don't know how much longer I can keep it here

Let me say that I very much want to keep the site on the Internet for as long as I live ... it's been an amazing resource and magnet for visitors and remains so to this day. I just can't commit to paying out the money each month for an extended period. I will do my best to keep it up for as long as I can.

Just wanted you to know, in case it disappears one day in the future. If and when it does, my e-mail address at mohicanpress will no longer be valid. So, here is my contact info. I hope you will jot it down in case you ever want to get in touch.

Rich Federici
455 Reservoir Road
Marion, NC 28752

richfed52 AT yahoo.com

You can always find me at Facebook, as well. My Facebook Page

Meanwhile, if there are any pictures or pages you wish to copy, save, or otherwise pillage , please do so in the near future - just in case.

Once I retire, I may find the NEED to keep it up somehow as a hobby. Time will tell, but I wanted all of you to know first of the possibility of Mohicanland expiring.

Love you all ...
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 16 2012 :  5:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
First off, Sachem... congratulations on your impending retirement! I am really, really jealous!

Secondly... it's really a shame that the participation on the boards has diminished so much. I think we can put the "blame" for that, at least partly, on Facebook. However, interests change and people move on. There's not much we can do about that.

Thirdly... whatever you decide to do down the road, I certainly understand, and I think that others will, too. It will be sad to see the website and the boards go -- sort of the passing of an era.

I am grateful to this place that we affectionately call Mohicanland. It, and the people who populate it, got me through a terrible time in my life. It gave me the opportunity to meet the man (Seamus) who became my great friend, my 18th century mentor, and my Captain. I will never forget that.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 17 2012 :  07:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Sachem,

I would like to echo all of WW's sentiments, especially the one congradulating you on your retirement. As someone who is planning on 'pulling the pin' myself soon, I am happy to hear that you too made it to the finish line.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - December 17 2012 :  09:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations! It is always better when retirement is your idea rather than "theirs", no matter how sweet they make the deal. Now you will have time to spend at Linville Gorge and to watch for the Brown Mountain Lights.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 17 2012 :  2:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Color me into the jealous picture as well! I think I have about 8 more years until I reach the retirement option. Yes, Congratulations!! I don't stop by as often as I used too (which was daily) partly due to facebook and partly due to an increasingly busier work schedule with lots of travel. Everytime I do pop in I always look at the recent visitors names below and give a nod to Seamus by pretending to see his name there as I did everytime that came I into MohicanLand. It was there, everyday, for many years! I sure miss that man!

Facebook has been as great place to "see" so many Mohican friends and it is nice the way people of many interests and hobbies intersect in one place; however, it will never replace the love I have had over the years for my first "cyber" home. While I certainly would understand that life circumstances change and life takes new turns please know that MohicanLand will always live on in my heart!

GG

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 17 2012 :  6:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congrats on the retirement Rich, - well deserved I'm sure. This has been "quite a place" for many years - always enjoyed it. No matter what you do, stay active & enjoy yourself, - you've earned it.

you can keep "The Change"

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 18 2012 :  11:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your retirement, Rich! I may not always post, but I do try to make it a point to pop in and see how things are. Mohicanland, and all the dear friends that I have met here, remain a special part of my life. What a long, strange trip it's been!

Yes, FB has provided another avenue to converse, but Mohicanland remains close to my heart ~ Jeff's too! It would be sad to see the site and board go, but we are completely behind any decision that you make. The most important thing is for you to enjoy your retirement!

With that being said, may I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Image Insert:

71.76 KB

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

October 24 2007

Posted - December 19 2012 :  12:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

Congratulations! It is always better when retirement is your idea rather than "theirs"...

True, but even though my "retirement" was more along the lines Fitz cautions against, once I figured out I could survive on my savings and investments until my SS kicked in, I never looked back! That was now eight years ago, and I've enjoyed things I hadn't imagined, like the internet and writing for this site. I have another story I'd been "saving", since it's more appropriate for the Autumn season when I visited, but guess I'd better go ahead while I still have the chance!

I hope you decide to keep the site going as a sort of "hobby horse", but regardless wish you the best in your projected "retirement"!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - December 19 2012 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"I hope you decide to keep the site going as a sort of "hobby horse", but regardless wish you the best in your projected "retirement"!"
If possible, - I hope so too, it's always been a great place & well run.

you can keep "The Change"

Dave T
Pathfinder

August 11 2010

Posted - December 28 2012 :  8:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A hearty congratulations and HUZZAH! for your impending retirement Rich.
I will really miss this site if it goes away. . .
Rich, if we could get any sort of 'heads up' should that time draw nigh, that would be most appreciated.
And, if you ever thought of putting the website content on a disk or cd rom and selling it, I'd be first in line. (I recoll that was mentioned here by someone in the past).
Lastly, as an FYI, word from Fort William Henry and the French & Indian War Society (the folks who operate the museum (which is undergoing some long overdue renovation))is that there will be an encampment at the fort Aug. 17-18, 2013. I shall be there!!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - December 29 2012 :  12:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Please keep us posted about the encampment at Fort WH. Sounds like it might be worth a trip!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

IWLFNDU
Colonial Settler

IWLFNDU
USA

May 08 2010

Posted - December 30 2012 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Congratulations, Rich! Regardless of what you decide to do with the website, it has been such a wonderful resource, and you should be very proud of all the work you have put into it.

Here's to you and the beginning of your new advencha!

''Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realize that we cannot eat money.''

~ Cree Proverb

vthunter
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

January 14 2013

Posted - February 03 2013 :  10:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Although I just found this sire, it has already prided some interesting and desired information. I am a year away from my retirement, and can understand how much you must be looking forward to yours. Good luck, and do what is in your best interests to get the best and most out of your retirement.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 30 2013 :  11:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So far, so good as far as keeping the Board & Site up -- which is my preference.

Regarding the Board, and I think I mentioned this a while back -- it's been festering in my mind --- I would very much like to redo the Board with the latest forum code. Because I have added so many modifications over the years, it would be a very involved job to get it back with all the features we have. I'd like to do it, though, because there is much extraneous code left over from mods that are no longer needed here because either of non-use or security issues.

So, if you notice tinkering, I'm probably adding stuff/features. If it's more major - as in redoing the code from scratch - you may notice non-functionality of some features until I get back to re-doing that code.

We'll see how bored I get!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 05 2013 :  4:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
More on this at: Maintainence on the Mohican Board Upcoming!!
  Previous Topic: Latest Edition of the Locations Guide Book Available! Topic Next Topic: 2 Days at the Hospital ...  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07