The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/29/2024 11:32:37 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The LOTM Locations
 On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: The Authors Expanded Edition of On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans! Topic Next Topic: I visted the cliff trail in Sept 2011
Page: of 3

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - August 02 2003 :  9:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
It was a 48" Getz barrel

Wow! That is a long one. I do know of someone who has a 50" barrel, though. A smoothbore.

quote:
Patterned off an early Northampton County smooth rifle

I am guessing that this one was rifled.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - August 02 2003 :  10:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yup. Rifled in .50 calibre and swamped. I once made a buccaneer musket with 55" octagon to round smoothbored barrel. Now THAT sucker was long!

Jeanneda
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

June 15 2003

Posted - August 04 2003 :  9:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jeanneda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the pics--do come and join us in Mohicanland!!

Joan

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 24 2003 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For the first 2 installments of Rick's reminisces & photos, see: TATTOO TANTALIZERS!

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 31 2003 :  06:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A word of "warning": Just a couple of dozen copies left in the coffers - - not sure how we will proceed after they are gone. If'n you want one, you had better hurry [just in case!]!

On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - September 09 2003 :  1:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OH MY...PROOF POSITIVE I don't check things out here often enough...OH MY...BARE CHESTS!!! FLOWING HAIR!!! DDL!!! BARE CHESTED...
TATTOOS...I hope you guys know that I have a story due but I think all chances of productive work are now impossible. My monitor just melted and I've shorted out my keyboard by drooling so much...oh my...Rich, you really ought to print warnings with some of these pictures.
THANKS!!!
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - September 09 2003 :  3:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have a friend up in the Erie Pa. area that made a replica of David Mead's rifle from contemorary accounts.( one of the earliest settler's there, Meadville,Pa.) The barrel on it is 56 inches long.. and Capt. Jim is only 5'9" ...the rifle dwarfs him....

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 09 2003 :  3:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Had to be a smooth rifle. You can't be telling me that was rifled?
55" smooth bore barrel for the bucanneer musket is the longest I've ever seen. Smooth bore, mind you. And that thing was looooongg.
I think if I'da asked for it rifled, Getz would either have laughed me off the phone, or choked me.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - September 09 2003 :  4:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll ask Capt. Smith if it is a rifled barrel or not.. it wasn't a commercial barrel ..I'm not sure who made it for him....or if he made it himself..I just know it was llllloooooonnnnngggg!

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 09 2003 :  6:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christina

OH MY...PROOF POSITIVE I don't check things out here often enough...OH MY...BARE CHESTS!!! FLOWING HAIR!!! DDL!!! BARE CHESTED...
TATTOOS...I hope you guys know that I have a story due but I think all chances of productive work are now impossible. My monitor just melted and I've shorted out my keyboard by drooling so much...oh my...Rich, you really ought to print warnings with some of these pictures.
THANKS!!!
Christina

You're quite welcome, Red ... anytime. Or, anytime I can!! It is a great series!

Lilymarie
Lost in the Wilderness

Yogi the bear

July 08 2003

Posted - September 22 2003 :  10:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
God, what gorgeous photos! Thanks, Rick, for giving us ladies some nice stuff to look at! I couldn't help but notice two things about Mr Daniel...1) His skin looks very pale in the candid set shots, but he looks golden-skinned and outdoorsy in the film. Did they use body make-up at any point, or was that effect acheived with filters? 2) His chest and arms are hairless in the film, but attentive Daniel-watchers know that he is a very hairy guy. Did they shave him, tweeze him, depilatorize him, what? Since you were in enviably close contact with his body, I thought you might know. Looking forward to your next installment, Rick!

Christopher Johnson
Lost in the Wilderness

November 09 2003

Posted - November 09 2003 :  6:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christopher Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What an interesting site. I didn't realize that the fan base for LOTM was so broad and still active. What a trip. I'm the Chris Johnson sleeping on the rocks on the previous page. I think we were working 18 hour days... and the ride to and from the set was like... 45 minutes... and all of us on the prosthetics crew had to remove all of that stuff which kept us hanging around for about an hour after everybody else hit the hay. So, when they actually started shooting, we got a little time to kick back. Anyway... glad Rick has been providing some of his great photos for everyone to see. He was pretty brave toting that camera around after the "NO CAMERAS ON SET" rule went into effect... as he said, someone came to his rescue. Enjoy!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 09 2003 :  7:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Hello Chris! Welcome! Glad you finally found Mohicanland. Yes, this is really a neat website, and there are some really nice people here on the boards. Hope you stick around these parts!

BTW, Tammy S. (through Scott) just loaned me a video copy of your movie. Very, very nice! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Great job!

Joyce B. (AKA Justin's Mom.)

Christopher Johnson
Lost in the Wilderness

November 09 2003

Posted - November 10 2003 :  5:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christopher Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad you liked it. Sorry Justin couldn't make it back for the premiere. I sent him a DVD though... so at least he got to see it. Talk to you later.

ED209
Lost in the Wilderness

July 29 2003

Posted - November 10 2003 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Chris - I'm glad to hear you're doing well, and still involved in film making. Aside from Jane Royle, you're the first person from LOTM that I'm heard from in almost 10 years (aside from John Bayless, who is 10 minutes away but never calls me :P) What's your Matt up to these days? Do you ever see Vince?
When I found this site, I thought it was hysterical because everyone I know has heard my Mohican's stories too many times, and I stumbled upon a group who was actually interested in hearing and seeing this stuff. I figured it was probably a good idea to get most of it down in writing before I forget things. It's amazing how some of the events that occurred 12 years ago seem like last week, and others have been long forgotten. Sorry about posting the pic of you taking a nap on the rock, but since you were usually inside the sp/fx make-up trailer sleeping, it was the best I could do ;). Actually, I have pretty good pic of you working on the British cannon-blast guy.
Anyhow, it's good to hear from you. Stay in touch, and stop by Charlotte some time!

Rick

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 10 2003 :  9:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ED209

Actually, I have pretty good pic of you working on the British cannon-blast guy.

Gee, Rick... could I talk you into posting just one more photo? Please? I would like to see that one. Chris is somewhat famous here in Binghamton for his great prosthetic make-up. In fact, there was a photo of a monster face he created in the local newspaper around Halloween. And, you should see him as Freddy Kruger (sp?)...

Christopher Johnson
Lost in the Wilderness

November 09 2003

Posted - November 11 2003 :  6:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christopher Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rick - How is Jane... she was always such a sweetheart. I have her address, but I've been terrible about keeping in touch. She lectured me one day on the proper "English" way to make tea. I was apparently butchering the process. Really - really great lady. And John Bayliss, I haven't talked to him since the last day I was on set that October. How is he? I've wanted to contact him from time to time... if you have his info... I would certainly appreciate your forwarding it onto my e-mail.

Yes, still into filmmaking... the only person I've really kept in touch with is Michael Waxman (1AD) who got me the gig to begin with... I talked to Evan Campbell (another Prostetics artist on the shoot) sometime in the mid 90's when I thought I might need a guy for a film I was directing. Vince and I haven't talked since the shoot... but he seems to be working a lot.

Make-up was never really totally my thing... though I did do it professionally for a couple of years. I viewed it as more of a step toward producing/directing. As you know, you can learn a lot on those big sets.

Matt is busily educating himself so he can become a doctor. He's totally immersed in that, though he and I have had a chance to act together in a couple of the films I've made.

Love to chat sometime... I have a ton of stories as well that you might get a kick out of. Not just set stories either... we used to raise hell back at base camp and Daniel and his driver (can't remember that chap's name) used to try to screw with Madeline Stowe every day leaving set... we got her good once. Anyway, keep in touch and hopefully we'll be able to catch up sometime soon via telephone or such.

Oh, and don't worry about the sleeping photo... I make no apologies for crashing on that set. We had some long ass days.

Joyce - You always have nice things to say about me and the film company... Thanks a million. Let me know if you guys want a DVD and some posters. I'd be happy to get you what ever...

Best - Chris

ED209
Lost in the Wilderness

July 29 2003

Posted - November 12 2003 :  12:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's a pic of Chris when he isn't taking a nap.;)

Image Insert:

87.91 KB

Chris - My contact with Jane has been limited to Christmas cards, and I haven't heard from her since I moved to Charlotte. She was like my mom on the set. My wife still gets a kick out of the way she used to call her "a treasure" (BTW - I'm married to Cheri, who spent a week working with the tattoo crew at the fort). The last I heard, John Bayless was working on 'Dawson's Creek' in Wilmington, and he had finished up working on 'Shallow Hal' during the break. I have no idea what his email address is, but I can get you his phone number if you are interested. When I moved to Charlotte two years ago, I figured I'd be seeing a lot of him but after a couple attempts to get together with him went nowhere, I decided to stop bugging him and he hasn't called me since (Is it my breath?!?).
That's a riot that Waxman helped you out. I always wondered what he'd be like off the set. I never had any problems with him, but I remember that a lot of people wanted to lynch the guy. I suppose it was just because he wanted immediate results, and wasn't in the business of making friends. Things always moved a lot faster whenever he started yelling into that bullhorn.
Email me directly at ed209@carolina.rr.com anytime. I've love to hear some of your stories. BTW - I mentioned your experiences with Daniel and his driver in part #6 of the Tattoo Tantalizers. I think I got most of the story right, but feel free to correct any inaccuracies.

Rick

Christopher Johnson
Lost in the Wilderness

November 09 2003

Posted - November 12 2003 :  7:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christopher Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rick - Excellent shot. I remember that make-up... And I will check out your story on Tattoo Tantalizers. I'll drop you a line on your personal e-mail here shortly. Take care.

Chris

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 12 2003 :  7:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting that photo, Rick.

So, Chris, after all of that incredibly detailed work on that guy's face, did it show up at all in the final edit? Was it during the battle at the fort?

You know... it is just so nice to see a young person with a definite goal in life and the determination to reach that goal. You seem to be very focused on what you want to do and you are making it happen. I admire that and I think it should be encouraged. (I meant what I said, however, about "Summer..." It is very good.) And besides, it's always neat to see a "hometown" person become a success. I think you are on your way. You're young yet, and have time to keep going and climbing that ladder to the top. I feel very strongly that you will make a name for yourself. I hope I'm still around when it happens so I can say, "Hey! I knew him! He's from my hometown and he's Justin's friend!"

BTW, I would love to have a DVD of "Summer..." but I want to pay you for it. After all, you're trying to make a living! I will take you up on your offer of the poster, though. I know Justin would love to have one.

Joyce.

Christopher Johnson
Lost in the Wilderness

November 09 2003

Posted - November 13 2003 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christopher Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Joyce - Vince and I did that make-up twice. The first time (there's a photo of it somewhere on this site and tagged as unused) we made the guy up (different actor) up on that bus you see parked in the disembarking scene at the fort. Yes... the blooper-bus. We did it while we were in transit. Though if recollecion serves me correctly, we were on our way to Linville Falls for some pick-ups. It was later in the shoot and they were bussing around small groups of extras for the pick-up shots. That was interesting. Then we had to redo it because they never got around to shooting it(I think).

The second time we did it, I think it was intended to be the character that Alice sees dead in the massacre valley scene that puts her over the edge. Though I don't recall seeing it in the final edit. He's probably in there somewhere... face down in the mud. I just remember going around with Gusmano (the visual consultant) and Jerry (2nd unit DP) and shooting inserts... like the Indian that Cora shoots in the head... and some of the other more minor inserts. It was cool, just the three of us and a Camera assistant in a field somewere shooting inserts.

We did a whole series of other injuries for the fort battles. I should find out how to post photos on this site. I have a ton of make-up shots and continuity photos from the guys I worked on. If I figure it out, I'll post some of them.

As for "Summer of Tomorrows," I'll get you a DVD and a poster soon. Justing already has both. No charge for mothers of crew members. It's policy here at Misty Falls. Sorry. Thanks for all your encouraging words and I'll talk to you soon.

Best,

Chris

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 14 2003 :  08:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well... if you insist! Thanks, Chris!

Oh, and regarding posting photos on the site... email or Private Message "Richfed" (Rich Federici, site owner), if he hasn't already contacted you.

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - November 17 2003 :  8:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Alrighty I saw the pic of Uncas and about fell out of my chair. Not to mention the pic of Hawkeye!!!!! Good Lord I need to go take a cold shower!! And I want copies if yall are makin any!!!!

8mileshady69
Lost in the Wilderness

November 29 2003

Posted - November 30 2003 :  10:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit 8mileshady69's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
FOR ED209 (HEY RICK!)(HEY CHRIS!!!!)AND HEY ALL MOHICAN FANS: What a great web site! my name is Vincent Guastini I took over as SPFX MAKE-UP ARTIST after the first Supervisor (NICK DUDMAN) left on LAST OF THE MOHICANS my job was to run my crew of 6 (INCLUDING CHRIS JOHNSON)and made the various wounds, deaths,sclapings,including a body of a ten year old boy which is seen breifly in the movie at the cabin scene. I had a blast on Mohicans made many friends and overall working with my favorite director Mike Mann was an amazing dream come true. He gave me my first big shot at taking over effects for a majoir motion picture.I have lots of pictures and behind the scenes stuff from the movie including the various make-up effects and other pictures I know the fans would love. You can view them for now on my web site at WWW.VINCENTGUASTINIPRODUCTIONS.COM Just click onto the Mohicans poster at the bottom of the site to bring up some behind the camera stories and just some of the many make-up effects that were created for the film.

I have found this site a few years ago, but never posted till I saw ED 209's post while I was putting my name through a search engine. So I figured was about time I did and say hello to the regulars here on the site as well as any crew memebers who might have worked on the movie. Any way I'll check on this site daily now that I am a member. Rick glad you were checking up on me !!!! thought about of you over the years so yes please email me!.

Later Vincent Guastini

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 01 2003 :  08:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I said it in another thread, but I'll say it again here:

Welcome, Vincent! We are glad you decided to join in. Your work is awesome; in fact, it is so realistic that I can barely look at some of it!

I'm going to email the link to your site to my son, Justin (the young man mentioned on the previous page, who worked with Chris J. on his most recent movie). He will love it!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: The Authors Expanded Edition of On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans! Topic Next Topic: I visted the cliff trail in Sept 2011  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07