The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
4/19/2024 10:07:11 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 F&I Battles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Seeking contributors for my blog Frontier Battles Topic Next Topic: Hairstyles
Page: of 2

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 14 2002

Posted - October 15 2002 :  8:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which battle do you all find most interesting to study or read about?

Choices:

Braddock's defeat 1755
Battle of Lake George 1755
Siege of Ft. William Henry 1757
Attack on Ft. Ticonderoga 1758
Siege of Louisbourg 1758
Siege of Quebec 1759

report to moderator

Edmund McKinnon
Colonial Settler

Bat-Man
USA

May 23 2002

Posted - October 15 2002 :  11:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like Braddock's Defeat best.It is close to where I live in Pittsburgh,Pa.Unfortunatly,most of the battlefield was covered over by the J.Edgar Thompson SteelWorks in 1855.The Pennsylvania R.R. found a mass grave of all of the British soldiers who were lost and moved it to an unknown location.This was probably the biggest event in the colonies in 1755.It was a virtual who's who of the American Revolution.There were personalities such as:George Washington,Thomas Gage,Horatio Gates,Daniel Morgan and Daniel Boone present.There is talk of building a visitor's center there for the 250th now that the mill is defunct.There is also a good documentary on the subject titled:"When the Forest Ran Red:Washington,Braddock and a Doomed Army".Check it out at:www.paladincom.com

Edmond N.Highlander Jr.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 16 2002 :  12:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There was also the siege of Fort Loudoun. There is a new book about it called "Indian Summer" by Joe D. Guy. The fort might have been in Tennessee, but it was a South Carolina fort. It's a piece of history we were never taught in the SC schools.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 17 2002 :  2:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Although I voted for Braddock's Defeat 1755, I think that you should have included the Forbes Campaign of 1758. The reason for this is as follows, it starts with a disasterous defeat for Major Grant on 14 September 1758, climaxes with a French counter-attack on 12 October (continuing until the afternoon of the 13th) at the post at Loyalhanna (Ft. Ligonier, for the uninitiated) and finishes with General Forbes arriving at the smouldering ruins of Ft. Duquesne on 25 November. You can read an excellent account of it in Volume #2 of "The Papers of Henry Boquet", or "Ft. Ligonier And It's Times" by C. Hale Sipe. It will also be out in video this spring as the sequel to "When The Forest Ran Red", an excellent production staring many tri-state area living historians like Seamus, McKinnon, MacWilliam and myself (among many other notables).

Your Humble Author,

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

Pvt. Chauncey
Pioneer

Private Chauncey

October 05 2002

Posted - October 21 2002 :  9:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pvt. Chauncey's Homepage  Send Pvt. Chauncey an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger:
Which battle do you all find most interesting to study or read about?

I am definitely in favour of the 1758 Battle of Ticonderoga. It was such a stunning defeat by the British army at the hands of a few Frenchmen. Aside from strong defensive tactics, Montcalm was blessed by the ineptitude of the British command, by the untimely death of the popular Lord Howe, and by the position of the Fort itself on its point. I was fortunate enough (along with Seamus and Malcolm) to be one of the people recreating that battle last year on the actual place Lord Howe was killed.

http://reenacting.net/howe-ti-01.html

Good question -- lots of great battles to choose from.

YHOS,
Pvt. Chauncey Goodrich

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 22 2002 :  02:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree, it was hard to choose only one. The one that I did choose, was for no other reason than the fact that I live over the hill from where it happened. This gives it a 'local' interest to me.

Sgt. Duncan Munro
Capt. Graham's Coy
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

Ranger of the North Woods
Lost in the Wilderness

Canada

January 27 2003

Posted - January 30 2003 :  11:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ranger of the North Woods's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I opted for the Siege of Louisburg, because it's right here in good 'ol Nova Scotia. More than that, one of the men, Captain Sylvanus Cobb, who was present at the battle, had stopped in a small harbor on his way to Halifax. He liked the small harbor, and so, when Wolfe went on to Quebec, he went back to New England, and brought back with him to NS quite a collection of familes, including his own, and settled the town of Liverpool, around the same time Wolfe was knocking at Quebec's door. One of the settlers trickling into Liverpool over the next few years was a fellow named Joseph Verge, and now, 240 years later, we're still here in the little town ;)

Nova Scotia; several inches of topsoil and scraggly forest covering several billion tons of rock.

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - July 24 2003 :  04:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
1755 Braddocks defeat, maybe? Possibly becuase i live so close to it. Other then that no real reason, just the most appealing to me.

-mark

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 28 2003 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Young Native,
Did you choose Braddock's, because you are on the winning side of that battle? Just kidding, Mark. See you at Bushy this weekend, and I have some things that belong to you and your dad to give to you.

Your Most Humble Highland 'Uncle',

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - July 29 2003 :  01:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
lol, Ed, yes i might have chosen that battle for that very reason :-) Yeah, i can't wait for bushy, should be a great event, i'll make sure to make a few trips down to your camp to see you and the rest of the 42nd. Just don't shoot at me in the battle ;-) ah well, I'll see you this weekend.

-Your native 'nephew'

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - July 29 2003 :  08:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It is not on the list, but I would probably vote for Bushy Run although it is "Pontiac's Rebellion" instead of F and I. I would probably pick BR because it was my first pre-Rev. War event doing Montgomery's Highlanders and the magic is still there. Aye, see you all on Friday at Bushy Run.
Slante'.......Sjt. MacWilliam

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 29 2003 :  11:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Sarge, I agree, Bushy is a good choice. Even though it is not part of the actual F&IW / SYW, it still dovetails to and traces its root causes to the late war with France. See you friday...

P.S.- Let Major Croy know that I got him one of our SWAT patches.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - July 30 2003 :  07:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sgt. Munro...."Captain" Croy will probably be at BR before I get there and I am sure he will be thankful for the patch. The Captain requested to resume his former rank so he could not (as a major) be pulled away from his Grand Grenadiers and assigned to a Battalion, etc. I should arrive at BR around 1400. Slante' .....Sjt. MacWm.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 31 2003 :  01:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Outstanding, Sgt. MacWilliam, I should be 'wheels down' myself at approximately 1700 Hrs.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Smokin_Gun
Lost in the Wilderness

Huron 3

June 10 2005

Posted - June 10 2005 :  04:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smokin_Gun's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Greetings all, I voted for the Siege of Quebec as thats the general area I was born in. And see if th Akwesasne participated.

Smokin' Gun, Akwesasne Mohawk.

whitefeather
Lost in the Wilderness

Chingachgook

July 13 2004

Posted - December 22 2006 :  09:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to choose Ft. William Henry 1757, as this is my play ground Lake George

Army_Brat84
Pathfinder

Duncan
USA

October 11 2005

Posted - February 19 2007 :  1:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Army_Brat84's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to go with Braddock's Defeat since it acts as somewhat of a redemptive event for young George Washington after his skirmish in 1754 where Half King killed Jumonville (sp) and his surrender of Ft. Necessity.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."
--President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Frontier Battles
The Herodotus Files

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 19 2007 :  8:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Something on the Siege Of Louisbourg, - interesting reading. http://www.militaryheritage.com/louisbg.htm

you can keep "The Change"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 20 2007 :  10:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Next year, 2008, will be the big year for Louisbourg. They had an event in 1995, and again in 1999. The one in 1999 was considered by all to have been a great event. Last summer they again hosted an event, but by design it was much smaller. Sort of gearing up for the big one. In the summer of 2008 they will host the 250th anniversary of the seige, and I think this is the one everyone is waiting on. The location and the site are the best restored historic town in America, including Williamsburg. The disadvantage is the location. And the somewhat limited tourist season. But if you don't do anything else in 2008, go to Louisbourg.

http://fortress.uccb.ns.ca/parks/fort_e.html

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 20 2007 :  10:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Also notice the flag on the right. It is the French Marine (troupes de la colonie) flag. You will see it used by various reenacting units, BUT this, Louisbourg, is the only place where is can be flown correctly. Flags were issued to regiments, and since the Marines were independent companies, they did not have flags. But the troupes at Louisbourg were organized into a larger unit in preparation for the siege and were awarded this flag by the King.

To see a very good reproduction of this flag, watch The Patriot. In the scene just before the last battle, when the Frenchman walks out of his tent, the flag is flying in front of it. Correct? No!!! But in The Patriot it's just one small drop in a very large bucket.

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 20 2007 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That Louisbourg site is lovely, Fitz. I guess I never realized that some of these forts were like miniature towns. Silly of me, I know. The images on the site are great, unlike a lot of other websites, which don't really give you an idea of what the interior of these forts looked like.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 20 2007 :  11:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have a CD produced by the site which gives a really great picture of what the town is really like. And it's history. The only problem is, the CD was made in 1995 using the technology available at that time, and now it is somewhat outdated. It doesn't really want to play well on today's operating systems. Maybe after the 2008 event, or even before it, they will produce a new one using state of the art software.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 20 2007 :  5:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's a very good link Fitz.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - February 20 2007 :  8:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Also notice that the French Marine uniforms are the 1750 and earlier style. The reason for that is the in-house unit portrays the year 1744 at all times. But then maybe they are doing the first siege and not the second. Could be.

But then I guess not. In the background there are some highlander Grens, but they seem to be wearing bearskin hats, so what's up with that? So it they had any regulars at all, it couldn't have been the first siege, it would have to have been the second. So I was right all along.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - February 20 2007 :  8:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ceratinly can't argue the point Fitz, - besides was there any real question about you being right all along? Have to say though, wearing a bearskin hat "up there" sounds like a good idea, regardless of which seige we're talking about.

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - April 22 2007 :  5:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Fitz, since I don't "par-lay-voo Fran-say," I had to run your signature through BabelFish & it translated it as "Two feet against the wall and the head under the tap." Did I miss something here?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Seeking contributors for my blog Frontier Battles Topic Next Topic: Hairstyles  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07